• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd antenna problem (FYI)

b5blue

NAXJA Forum User
The radio antenna on my 89 XJ quit working and when I removed the passenger side kick panel to replace it I found that it's actually a 2 piece cable.
Oddly it's spring loaded and when the thin tube-like sleeve that holds the whole thing together split it disconnected itself.
The cable from the radio to the area behind the kick panel is wrapped with the wiring harness also, I assume it's done like this to make installing the dash an easier job at the factory, but that spring loaded coupler I just don't get?
Had I known (It's not mentioned in the FSM) about this it would have saved me a whole lot of hassle and ordering a replacement aftermarket antenna from Crutchfield (14.98 shipped) that although fit well is not as well made as the factory part.

Same setup on 96.

AM/FM - reception weak on one band and none on other.

One screw- kick panel - repair- replace = AHaaaa tunes again!

The springloaded connector - What were they thinking???
Does not make any sense at all.

I found the spring loaded connector had self destructed in my wife's 96. I removed the spring and the white plastic donut, re-assembled and used the thin sleeve as a splint and bound it tight with electrical tape. Works just dandy and cost free-ninety-free.

be glad they dont use a similar quick disconnect on the fuel rai..... oh wait... i mean the tranny fluid cool..... oh crap! theyre everywhere!

Yea I hear all of ya!
After digging in the FSM I found a drawing of it but no mention of it being spring loaded. I had chopped the old cable inside the fender to remove the factory antenna and paint the mounting area for the new one. (My hood is blacked out)

Back