• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bang or clunk noise when starting or stoping

resq229

NAXJA Forum User
99 cherokee classic 4.0, auto, 231j 4x4, when i stop at a light or take off sometimes i get the bang or clunk noise from the rear, sounds like something unbinding or a bad bushing or mount somewhere back near the rear diff, also it seems to bang every once in a while when i just put it in reverse or from park to drive.. best way to describe it is something seems to be binding and unbinding making the clunk.

I have searched and found some stuff but not enough or anything confirmed, anyone have a 97-2000 that has had this problem? and possible solution? or?

Thanks

I had the same issues. It was axle wrap. What is the condition of your rear leaves.?
If they are as bad as mine were you will get a spectacular S shape out of them upon applying torque to the rear axle.

Mine is a 99 also and i installed a 3 in lift with a add-a-leaf and there is a gap between my main leaf and second. And i am starting to get the same clunk back (not near as bad).

I'd suspect the rear u-joint

Climb under there and grab the driveshaft by the joint. Push and pull, apply a little leverage, push and pull, take a good look at the joint.

Next I'd be looking at the tranny mount.

All of the above are good places to start. I'd also lube your driveshaft slip joint. Ford Bronco's have had this problem for many years (I had several and they all did it). I'd pull the driveshaft and clean the splines and coat them with synthetic grease (It's sticky and will last longer) and while you're at it replace the U-Joints.

All sound reasonable, i will try to check most of this stuff out this weekend, when you guys are saying slip joint, your meaning where the rear driveshaft slips in the transfer case, right? and to add a bit of info, today i took off from a red light with light excelleration and it was a easy take off and about 4 seconds into the takeoff, BANG very loud clunk! still doing it and some times its even got a 3 or 4 second delay after takoff.. anyway i will check everything you guys mentioned and let you know back. thanks for the ideas so far.

Back