• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK steering with trackbar in stock location?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running a JCR type OTK steering with the track bar in the stock location? is that even possiable? i Know the bump steer will be bad, but i dont really drive it on the road that much anyways.

Its been done.You will need to ream the knuckles and you still have to deal with your swaybar brackets but you wont like the bumpsteer!

why not just make a simple bracket a little higher up?

Because i dont really have the tools to do it. i have a welder but i wouldnt trust it to weld that, and i just ordered a track bar from motion offroad (worste mistake of my life, i cant get my money back even if i cancel it)

I dont run a sway bar so im not worried about the mounts. I guess i was just wondering if everything would clear each other ( track bars not going to hit the steering?) Everything is ready to go in just waiting on the track bar, who knows when that will show up.

You already know the bumpsteer will be bad. I am willing to bet after driving it for a bit you will end up building a proper trackbar mount. If you don't trust yourself to weld it I would suggest just getting some practice in. Lots of room on the axle to build a nice overkill sized bracket.

I have heard of people raising only the drive side (tie rod) to OTK. Will that induce bump steer also?

359601494.jpg

Because i dont really have the tools to do it. i have a welder but i wouldnt trust it to weld that, and i just ordered a track bar from motion offroad (worste mistake of my life, i cant get my money back even if i cancel it)

if you clean everything and take your time a 90 amp will work... but you should just do it right and pay someone to do it

bolt the axle into the jeep and get your track bar where you want it. tack the new bracket in with your welder. remove your track bar carefully, and then take the whole axle to a competent welding company. it shouldnt take but 5 minutes for them to do it. they will be happy to take your money, and youll enjoy the piece of mind knowing it was done by a professional.

bolt the axle into the jeep and get your track bar where you want it. tack the new bracket in with your welder. remove your track bar carefully, and then take the whole axle to a competent welding company. it shouldnt take but 5 minutes for them to do it. they will be happy to take your money, and youll enjoy the piece of mind knowing it was done by a professional.

amen! :yelclap:

ok sounds great. but just bought a brand new RK track bar. that would more than likely need to be shortened correct? I would cancel the order but its to late they wont give me my money back, even though they are telling me it wont be here for like 2 weeks at least. My original plan was to go under the knuckle but i just got my steering from serious offroad and i figured why not go over. expecially sense im at 6.5 lift. would i still have binding issues if i went under with it( would the tie rod ends have any play left in them) would it limit my axle droop? Anyways sorry for all the questions just havent been able to find much about going OTK with the track bar in the stock location.

I am at 6 inches of lift, recently installed JCR steering (same thing as serious).
I had to shorten my JKS trackbar by 4 or 4.5 inches I think.

Having the steering UTK will cause more binding than OTK especially at 6.5" the higher the better. I had to raise my TB because of clearance issues so I'm sure you will too. I couldn't turn the wheel hardly at all it seemed like everything was hitting. I had to cut off the trackbar, steering stabilizer and sway bar mounts and trim the coil buckets to get back all of my turning radius. Just my experience.

ok sounds great. but just bought a brand new RK track bar. that would more than likely need to be shortened correct? I would cancel the order but its to late they wont give me my money back, even though they are telling me it wont be here for like 2 weeks at least. My original plan was to go under the knuckle but i just got my steering from serious offroad and i figured why not go over. expecially sense im at 6.5 lift. would i still have binding issues if i went under with it( would the tie rod ends have any play left in them) would it limit my axle droop? Anyways sorry for all the questions just havent been able to find much about going OTK with the track bar in the stock location.

You cant do both,its either been built for UTK or OTK,which did you purchase?

You cant do both,its either been built for UTK or OTK,which did you purchase?
X2 you can't just switch it back and forth. If you want to run a UTK setup OTK you will need to buy a different right side TRE that is reamed from the other side. Also once you ream the knuckles for UTK you can't re-ream to go OTK unless maybe you use some kind of insert or you'll you need to replace both knuckles and start over again. I know I've run both, OTK is way to go, do it right the first time or it will end up costing you a lot more to change it later.

X2 you can't just switch it back and forth. If you want to run a UTK setup OTK you will need to buy a different right side TRE that is reamed from the other side. Also once you ream the knuckles for UTK you can't re-ream to go OTK unless maybe you use some kind of insert or you'll you need to replace both knuckles and start over again. I know I've run both, OTK is way to go, do it right the first time or it will end up costing you a lot more to change it later.
Actally there's no need to swap knuckles.

Kaden purchased Tapered Inserts that can easily be moved from the top of the knuckle to the underside of the knuckle.

Yes, he will need a pass. side TRE reamed for OTK installation and an OTA track bar bracket.

Kaden,
Hit me up via PM or email and we'll work out a straight trade for another TRE if you opt to go OTK.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's alot of coil bucket trimming to be done for an OTK set up and the axle sway bar mounts need to be removed as well. We can discuss those issues via PM as well.

Back