• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater and AC Contol Access?

FrankGRUN

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced the radio head unit in my 1996 Cherokee XL Country. The unit the PO had installed was inadequate and I installed an Insignia NS-HD5113. This has everything I need including CD, Aux front and rear inputs, amp outputs, sub outputs, HD radio on AM and FM, and it supports the ipod/iphone with a complete interface including iphone charging. Unfortunately, the way the manufacturer packed all the features into the small head unit box was by having lots of hard wired output/input cables in the rear.

The removal of the bezel and wood trim (this is the Country version) was a bitch and now I find that the cluster of unused output/input cables in the rear is interfering with the motion of the AC/heater temperature control. Is there any way to access the temperature control cable area from the underside of the dash - that is without removing the Bezel again? Thought I ask before I tear into it again.

Thanks for any insight!

I'm still new to Xjs myself but from what I saw when installing my head unit, there didn't look to be access from the bottom. One thing that crossed my mind when doing mine was to make some kind of shield to lay on top of the hvac controls so the wires didn't get tangled with the controls. I don't think you'd need anything fantastic to build the shield, a piece of sturdy posterboard should do the trick and wouldn't rattle around like a metal plate would.

Thanks for the suggestion! I pulled the bezel again. Much easier the third time around. Indeed, my problem was RCA plugs on the ends of the line-outs. I adjusted their location by taping them to the top of the head unit. I also use a piece of stiff plastic to better define the radio area. Now fully functional!

Thought I would add some more info for those who are as clueless as I have been about some instrument panel and air handling details. The shop manual is helpful but far from sufficiently detailed for the novice.

I searched high and low for the location of the blend door actuator on my 96 XJ in the available instructional materials. I wanted to know where the actuating crank was so I could see if the blockage was at the control box or at the blend-door. The materials were no help! It turns out that the blend door is easily accessible on the passenger side footwell. Its at the bottom of the housing obscured by the glove box and lower instrument panel, and readily accessible.

its at the very bottom of the dash assembly about 4 inches towards the door from the console. Easily identified by the cable leading to it.

Also, I read carefully all the instructions about removing the bezel but nearly broke mine in each removal attempt. I have the adjustable steering column system, and even fully lowered, clearing that assembly was very difficult. Until I realized that the rounded wire protection cover on the back of the multifunction switch was easily removed. This clip-on covergave up the necessary 5 mm. clearance needed to easily remove the bezel and reinstall it.

Hope this helps someone else!

Back