• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing shackles

new hampshire xj

NAXJA Forum User
About to put new shackles in my rig. Ive heard from alot of people that say that the nuts on the inside of the frame dont hold when you go to loosen up the bolt, anyone have any ideas about keeping the nuts in place

Im in the middle of the same project. I sprayed PB on the bolts for about a week and they came loose without a problem. The trouble I'm having is now the upper bolt is rust welded into the bushing sleeve and wont pull free. I plan to pick up a few cut off wheels and recip-saw blades to remedy that issue.

In my opinion if the nut breaks free just cut the bolt, drop the shackle and push the bolt/nut combo into the frame channel. I would then cut an access hole into the top of the frame channel so I could get a nut onto a new bolt. Its not worth messing around with for days on end.

You could try heating the nut up but being inside the frame channel makes that nearly impossible.

About to put new shackles in my rig. Ive heard from alot of people that say that the nuts on the inside of the frame dont hold when you go to loosen up the bolt, anyone have any ideas about keeping the nuts in place

are you saying that they won't stay in place after the bolt is out? because they will, they are welded in.

some people have bad rust problems because they live in god awful places that salt the roads... :greensmok

then when they go to take the bolt out, instead of being smart and using a little heat and some PB or other chemical, they use an air chisel and break the spot welds holding the nut in place.

you can be crafty and take off the rear bumper and get to the nut that way, it might require some trimming of sheet metal to get at it though.

I say just be patient. if you think you have a rust problem, just soak it overnight with a chemical like PB baster, then hit that sucker with an 18" breaker bar, turn slow. if it gives you trouble, get the torch out and heat the bolt up.

Back