• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pipe Coping

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
Hey whats up everyone.

I've been searching around for some good right ups for pipe bending and coping. I was able to pull up a really good right up from pirate4X4 about pipe bending. But notching the pipe I believe is the hardest thing to do.

I am in the works (later down the road) to build a roll cage for my 98XJ. I have done some pipe work but nothing close to or as fancy as a roll cage. If there is a write up or anything that may help with notching pipe with fegearing out all the angles of the dangles with just some math and measuring, please post them up.

Thanks

Before you get flamed, tubing is for cages, pipe is for sh!t.

first off you'll want tube not pipe(search any off-road forum debates are everywhere)

second a good bender like the JD2 or protools helps a ton

and 3rd a good knotcher like this one http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200003774_200003774 help alot also, if you want to take the guess work out of knotching get the pipemasters http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFR-P-T0875 takes a bit to learn how to use but once its figured out it takes the guess work out of knotching, they are a little pricey but well worth it.

also practice practice practice. make other stuff before you jump right into building something that needs to potentially save your life.

the notcher does the hard part but its up to you to be able to learn how to set it. practice at different angles and such to get a feel for it. my hardest part when i was learning was to not notch my piece backwards. its all trial and error.

There is a free program out there that will print out a paper tracing for notching tube.

If your only doing a cage or two save the money on a notcher and put it toward tube.
It makes life easier, but everything can be accomplished with some common sense, a few cardboard paper towel rolls, a cut off wheel, and a flap disc.

There is a free program out there that will print out a paper tracing for notching tube.
http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

Like most have said, the best thing you can do for yourself is practice.... A lot!

If you have little experience with notching/welding tubing buy a notcher. You can do it without, but one of the requirements of a good welded intersection is a good fit-up.

If you plan on relying on that roll cage some day, it had better be built right.

that northern tool notcher is exactly like the JD2 TN-100, except the tn-100 is about $75 cheaper... AND the tn-100 has the better vice block.....

thats $220 well spent.... i love my tn-100, the ammount of time it saves over conventional grinder/chop saw/handheld grinder notching is INSANE.... the holesaw notcher is awesome untill you get into the real difficult notches. which is where the tube masters come into play. i didnt use mine the first year i had em, but the first time i NEEDED them, they more than payed for themselfs.

i dont care how good you are at chop saw notching, it still takes too long, and isnt perfect. will it work? sure.... but its too slow, too inaccurate, and frankly, it annoys the shit outta me, having to do a bunch of work, to get a half ass result, because i dont have the right tool.

that northern tool notcher is exactly like the JD2 TN-100, except the tn-100 is about $75 cheaper... AND the tn-100 has the better vice block.....

thats $220 well spent.... i love my tn-100, the ammount of time it saves over conventional grinder/chop saw/handheld grinder notching is INSANE.... the holesaw notcher is awesome untill you get into the real difficult notches. which is where the tube masters come into play. i didnt use mine the first year i had em, but the first time i NEEDED them, they more than payed for themselfs.

i dont care how good you are at chop saw notching, it still takes too long, and isnt perfect. will it work? sure.... but its too slow, too inaccurate, and frankly, it annoys the shit outta me, having to do a bunch of work, to get a half ass result, because i dont have the right tool.

x100 this isnt the dinosaur era. get the right tool and put some pride in your work.

Back