• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't connect to state inspection comp.

Cherokee Dad

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 6 cl auto - we tried at two quick-lube inspection stations and now just returned from the dealer and the Jeep will not 'talk' to the state licensed ESP Computer??? The local guy at second place hooked it up to a hand held scanner and said 'PASS' and no faults, but the state comp. would not hook up.
The dealer said it could be the PCM, but was not sure and will have to trace down the wiring, costly I'm sure.
Has anyone had this problem and know what it could be?

I had this problem before...the state computer had the vehicle info wrong on my VIN.Therefore the computer fails it and says its not ready to test.The tech had to call the state board and read my VIN to him...once he entered the data correctly , I passed.I don't think its the PCM if you have no other issues.Call the number on your rejection slip and explain whats happening..they have their own inspection stations that should be able to figure out the problem.

My father's 2000 TJ had the same problem last year. Some mechanic he took it to had a big expensive Chrysler scanner, and it said his computer (PCM on the wrangelr) was bad. He got a new one from one of the sites that sells remaned ones, and everything worked fine. I could hook my hand held scanner up to it and read all the systems were ready to be tested, but multiple inspection stations couldn't connect. It even fixed his intermittent stall problem.

Is it possible that at some time the ECU was changed out? If the state computer reads the VIN thats flashed into the ECU and its different than what they have on file or on the vehicle data plate for your XJ that might be the issue.

I think "Begster" has it ... the Jeep dealer had a ex-inspection station guy look at it and it's going in on Wednesday to have the PCM checked - by the sounds of it they go in thru my wallet to get to the PCM (dang I don't like using dealers). So I should know more after a few hours and more $$$$$'s.
What website did ya Dad get the re-maned PCM from?

You can get remans at most auto parts stores. Most of them can flash them at there warehouse or you can take them to the dealer to get flashed to I believe

The 'stealership' said it was the PCM as I had figured, but I guess it was worth it to be sure???? Their charge for a remaned PCM was $640 and install and flash would bring the bill (their estimate) to $916 total, with a 90 day warranty on the part.
The service writer was a tad shocked when I told him I can buy the same unit for $225 flashed with VIN and mileage, with a lifetime warranty, and take care of air box R&R and the four screws on the old PCM and install the new one myself - DUH!!!

dealer ships are expenive. I work at one. just to open the hood is a 1 hour charge of 125$$. There great for the really odd problems but you really pay for it!!

I really beleive that new car sales are so competitive now that dealers are trying to make it up on the service end? The hourly rate has increased a bunch in the last 5 or so years, way more than new car prices, and as cars need more electrontics they also need the expensive testing equipment to check them. Your local shop cannot afford to buy some of the testing equipment (as I found none of my local guys could test the PCM) and so the dealer can ask a higher price.

UPDATE on PCM

OK anyone following this thread knows the 'stealership' quote (if not read post #9 above) - so I get a new PCM from All Computer Resources, Inc and it takes 15 minutes to R&R without removing the air box. Back to the inspection station, after a few days of my daughter driving around town, and it reads "not ready" on a couple of systems. So I go online and find you need some freeway and local driving (freeway to heat up the cat I beleive) - so I run the freeway for about 20 miles one way and back, then back to inspection station where it passes with no problems.:thumbup:

Thanks for your input guys, just thought I would bring you up to date!

UPDATE on PCM

OK anyone following this thread knows the 'stealership' quote (if not read post #9 above) - so I get a new PCM from All Computer Resources, Inc and it takes 15 minutes to R&R without removing the air box. Back to the inspection station, after a few days of my daughter driving around town, and it reads "not ready" on a couple of systems. So I go online and find you need some freeway and local driving (freeway to heat up the cat I beleive) - so I run the freeway for about 20 miles one way and back, then back to inspection station where it passes with no problems.:thumbup:

nice, dude. Good for you! :yelclap:

This is an interesting read because it has been my perspective that here in Merry Maryland its on the State to make sure its equipment interfaces or they have to pass you. I have a stick and as the XJ is a 94, the techs have to run it through inspection manually reading the exhaust output. Some of the techs don't have the eye hand coordination to get the Jeep and rollers up to the proper speed while reading the LCD screen. Every time that has happened (not always) they have passed me telling my my brakes don't work. Right. Also there is a cap on what you are required to spend to bring a failed vehicle into compliance. That cap is far under what your dealer wanted for a PCM replacement. Glad you got it resolved though.

I knew about the cap on dollars spent (needed paperwork and a visit to DMV to get the waiver), but also figured if the PCM was not working in one area, who knows what it was not doing right in other systems - the Jeep 'seems' to run better than it did now???

UPDATE on PCM

damn, isnt the PCM covered under the 10 yr chrysler emissions warranty?

Back