• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 4.0 No Start

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
98 4.0 aw4, was running fine, then yesterday evening wouldnt start, wont take a jump, swaped starters with one from my other jeep still no start, i can hear a click from the fuse box area under the dash, any sugestions, my only guess is the nss wich i am not replacing or gonna bother cleaning, any writeups or tips on how to jump the NSS

NSS_OBDII.jpg

Jump the B & C terminals to bypass the NSS.

i assume that be the wires that come off the trans? if not where would i jump those?

it takes like 20 minutes to pull and clean the nss dude

i assume that be the wires that come off the trans? if not where would i jump those?
That plug is in the engine bay just to the passenger's side at the rear of the valve cover. Unplug it, jump the Jeep side of the plug, and test start. If it works come up with something more permanent.

tried jumping the terminal and no luck, not sure where to go from here

I'd get a voltage reading at the starter to be sure. With the key in the ON position, you should have approx. full battery voltage there. I'm assuming you don't, but the meter never lies.

If you don't, you have a control electronics problem of some sort. If you've jumpered the NSS, the primary suspects can be the starter relay, a bad starter cable, or a bad ground. All three are suspect here.

is there suposed to be this much exposed wire at the starter?

00518.JPG

0083.JPG

Jumping the. Starter with a screw driver it fires right up
Code:

no there should not be that much B+ wire exposed. if bypassing the NSS does not work but will work with jumping the starter I would go after the click you hear under the dash. a relay that clicks does not mean that it is making good contact. check with a VOM meter or test light to see if the starter relay is tranfering power through the relay.

Back