• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brown dog engine mount looks funny

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Last edited:
I had the same problem this is what mine looked like after I installed it.

imgp1065e.jpg

I found some large washers that fit perfectly and shimmed it up on both sides. I think I had the problem because I used to have some Daystar mounts and did some grinding to make them fit. I would probably shim it up some more so the bushing sits against the mount.

I found some large washers that fit perfectly and shimmed it up on both sides.

This probably what I have to do. How do you keep the engine in place while working on the mount ? If you jack it, where, how ?

Place a 2x4 underneath the front of the transmission bell housing lip and place the jack under that.

x2 please dont put the 2x4 under your oil pan. i actually saw a write up about this and it was informing people to put the 2x4 under the oilpan. i couldnt believe it. on a different note you should call b.d. and talk to them. they have excellent customer service and will give you an answer. i would go putting washers in before talking to them first. just a thought.

I do not see problem putting the jack under the oil pan. The oil pan unless it is rotted could support the weight of the engine. I changed both my mounts using a 2X6 to spread the load and the XJ bottle/screw jack and changed one mount at a time. As long as the jack is set properly and no one go jumping on the engine you will be ok. On the other hand, putting the jack under the bell housing will cause too much lift at the back of the engine and undue pressure on the transmission mount. I think lifting the engine closser to where the mounts are located is a better option.

Place a 2x4 underneath the front of the transmission bell housing lip and place the jack under that.

x2 please dont put the 2x4 under your oil pan. i actually saw a write up about this and it was informing people to put the 2x4 under the oilpan. i couldnt believe it. on a different note you should call b.d. and talk to them. they have excellent customer service and will give you an answer. i would go putting washers in before talking to them first. just a thought.
Its funny, because I would give the opposite advice. I'm with techno1154, Jack the engine up under the oil pan. The pan is plenty strong, I've replaced my motor mounts many times, and on multiple vehicles, but placing a jack under the pan has never done any harm to anything. It is not like the pan is made of tinfoil. I wouldn't place the jack under the transmission because now rather than the jack supporting the weight of the engine, the transmission is trying to support the full weight of the egine, and is experiencing a moment applied by the engine. I'm sure it would be able to handle it, but it is unnecessary stress on the transmission mounts and shaft.

As to the OP, I was going to ask when you bought them, as BD came up with a solution to fix the problem Mesh showed a picture of, but I looked at your picture again and you already have the Rev 2 bushing. You are not having the same issue as him, something is wrong. I would contact BD, but first go back to the shop you had them installed. BD has awesome customer support, but something is wrong like your engine is crooked or your frame rail compressed, because the bushing is pushed into the housing. Ask them what happened, and why they thought that was acceptable. That should not have happened. You also can't really put washer in there to shim it.

Last edited:

on a different note you should call b.d. and talk to them. they have excellent customer service and will give you an answer. i would go putting washers in before talking to them first. just a thought.

Brown Dog does have excellent customer service. Karol or Tim will point you in the right direciton.

Jack under the oil pan with a 2x4 is fine. Just don't go crazy.

On the problem with the mounts.

Slonopotam: The driver side mount, the mount I have has two of those thick washers on each end. It looks like the shop may have removed one. Brown Dog added a washer on each end to prevent issues like this and what Mesh has.

The driver side mount, the mount I have has two of those thick washers on each end. It looks like the shop may have removed one. Brown Dog added a washer on each end to prevent issues like this and what Mesh has.

x2 Looks like you're missing one of the spacers/washers.

http://browndogindustries.com/c2572-0Kjeepmotormounts-1.aspx

I do not remember how it looked when it arrived, but it sure looks like the washer is supposed to be only on the front end.

Andrey

It's not a difference of front end vs. rear end. The driver side should have them on both sides and the passenger side shouldn't have them on either. Look at the "View More Images" link on the page you linked to above and 2 of 4 will show you the other sider of the driver's mount.

From what I see on the web site the driver side mount has two washers and the passenger side none. In your pictures both mounts have one each. It looks like they've split them, one a piece. I would take it back to the shop and inform them of the error.

From what I see on the web site the driver side mount has two washers and the passenger side none. In your pictures both mounts have one each. It looks like they've split them, one a piece. I would take it back to the shop and inform them of the error.

Both pictures above were of the drivers side.

Please see pictures of the passenger side below.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_dU-gQjNBjg0/Tc9GfgfnVcI/AAAAAAAAAPg/n65VX7tYMcg/s800/IMG_5800.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_dU-gQjNBjg0/Tc9G9qI6rzI/AAAAAAAAAPk/8AZguElMygU/s800/IMG_5799.JPG

what are you afraid of?

i hate to admit it but i have had bad experiences with doing that. i always use a cheryy picker and lift it with a chain it works for me because i dont have to crawl under the car to adjust the jack where i need it. thats just me though. i didnt realize so many guys do jack up from the oil pan.

Why the need for spacers for one side and not the other?
I did a pair of OEM motor mounts last year, with no spacers, just wondering if I missed anything...
OEM don't need spacers.

Due to the design of the Brown Dog mounts, and the shape of the OEM engine block brackets, the bushing on the driver side motor mount is not as wide as the metal sleeve that the bolt goes through. There are spacers now that keep the bushing from coming out of the bushing mount. The pass side motor mount does not run into the same issue.

It really looks like both the OP's spacers are on his mount, just that the rearmost one is pushing the bushing into the mount, and is why it can't be seen. If you look at the bushing, it looks like it is getting sucked in.

It looks like the motor is tweaking, the bushing isn't centered in the mount. It is pushed to one side pretty bad.

Back