• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LF Wheel Binding

BMWGuy

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search and found some possible answers, however I'm still not sure.

2001 Cherokee Sport, 130k miles, 4.0, part-time 4WD (NP231).
New front wheel bearings and outer u-joints approximately 25k miles ago.

Left front wheel in 2WD binds at full/near-full lock left or right when driving. Very similar to 4WD on dry pavement. Jacked up the front end and turned each wheel by hand full-lock left, centered, and full-lock right. Only the left front binds. Seems to have more resistance in forward motion than rearward.

I checked all steering and suspension components. PS pump and fluid are fine. I had just lubed the front end when I changed the oil last week. There is no noise at all at any time. I replaced the front u-joints due to the whine when worn out. Replaced the wheel bearings at the same time.

Although it would appear it could be the u-joint based upon my search, they are low mileage and the seals are intact and no noise as before.

I would appreciate any help on this. It runs and drives fine with the exception of tight turns.

Thanks.

Believe it or not, my money is on the u-joint. Don't let age and miles fool you. I've had expensive, heavy duty joints go bad that quickly, with only pavement driving. I know it's a pain to do, but pull the bearing and axle just to make sure. I've also seen bearings go bad before a year old also. The junk parts today could last a week, or forever. There's no rhyme or reason.

Yeah, all the symptoms point to the u-joint. I'll be tearing into it later this week. The one on there now is Autozone. I'm going to use NAPA or Advanced.

I haven't had much luck with Autozone parts on the XJ. Bought rad hoses and a thermostat last year. Terrible fit so I went with dealer parts. Well worth the money and the trouble.

Yup, u-joint bad. Rusted in fact. Used Autozone joints 2 years ago and also this time. Not sure I would use them again. Messed around with the one of the yokes for a long to just to get the c-clips on.

Back