• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OIL Pump question

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
I have my oil pan off, my jeep has 160K miles on it, should I go ahead and replace the oil pump? I replaced the rear main seal already. Does anyone have any experience with how many miles it takes to kill an oil pump on the 4.0L.. Also the Block is a 1996 and heads are 1988, is the 96 block oil pump the same Part Number as the 88.

I just dropped the oil pan in my 2000 XJ with 167k on it. Replaced the oil pan gasket, oil pump (w/ a Melling High Volume oil pump), oil filter adapter gasket set, timing chain set, and timing cover gasket. Oil pressure is much better now and the engine is purring. I would suggest doing it if you can afford it.

If the pan is already off then by all means replace the pump. You will not want to pull the oil pan again if you do not have to. The part will be for the year of the lower end of the engine.

Back