• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken shock bolts

beastlydumass

NAXJA Forum User
when i was trying to change out my rear shocks the upper 2 bolts on both broke off and i can seem to find a drill bit that can drill them out so i can tap for bigger botls. got any suggestion cuz thers nothing to get ahold of and there siezed in.

I had the same problem, searched here and a solution that involved using a hammer and punch to knock the weld nuts loose. That didn't work for me at all, I beat on those things for an hour and had no sign of breaking loose. I ended up searching again and found writeups where people cut access holes in the trunk to get at the problem from above. That worked out great and was pretty easy.

I almost wish I had the problem again just to use my new super awesome air hammer to see if it would get the job done ; p .

Same thing happened to me. I pounded out the welded nuts with a drift punch and a 2.5lb hammer. Then I used some steel wire and wrapped it around the threads of the new bolts to make myself a bolt leader. Snaked it up through the bolt hole and into the access port, screwed the bolt on to the steel wire and pulled it through. Works very well and you don't have to cut holes in the floor.

If welding is an option, I welded a bolt up there, facing the ground. So on that side, one side takes a nut, the other uses the stock bolt.

Unless you have a severe leak in your tank or local lines, you can very safely cut or weld as needed.

Same thing happened to me. I pounded out the welded nuts with a drift punch and a 2.5lb hammer. Then I used some steel wire and wrapped it around the threads of the new bolts to make myself a bolt leader. Snaked it up through the bolt hole and into the access port, screwed the bolt on to the steel wire and pulled it through. Works very well and you don't have to cut holes in the floor.

I always mention when this topic comes up, my weldnuts did not just have spot welds. The nuts were welded 1/2 or 1/4 of the way around with a solid slag of weld, plus the spot welds. I had to cut them off, no amount of beating with my mini(3lb) sledge was going to knock them off.

You may have just the spot welds so it certainly makes sense to try and smack them off. Cutting holes is not a big deal though and I patched them right back up.

I drilled mine and tapped then the next size up, all four of them.

I re'ly don't get why the heck anyone would cut they're floor when there are access holes.. !?
drill out old threads buy nut and bolt tape nut onto open end wrench and stick through acess hole ( put there stock).. And tighten

Those are not access holes. What's wrong with cutting a hole in the floor that you will never see? Much quicker to cut a hole in the floor. It's a jeep, it'll be ok. I promise. lol.

cutting the floor won't hurt anything as long as it's sealed up but no way in hell it's faster.. Maybe if the carpet was already out.. How are they not acces holes when all they seem to be for is providing easy access to the shock bolt..

and yes I said easy. Even if the carpet was out don't see it being faster as it was super easy to get the nut and bolt

If you snapped the bolts off inside the rusted holes... have fun trying to drill out or back out those busted bolts. Not the easiest of tasks...

I cut access holes in from the top and worked like a charm. Some miscellaneous aluminum cutouts and some silicone over the holes, then the carpet over that and all done. :)

anyway if you have prolems fishing the nit on there's thread wire.. Or cutting may be the answer for you for me I wouldn't do it unless my rig was a beater or a trail rig.. No harm but just don't see any good reason to do it.
although on a funny side note I do plan on cutting for fuel pump access after I have to replace it so I only have to drop the tank once!

not against cutting . Maybe I just got lucky and had an easy time with mine

I've had better luck with carbide burrs grinding out broken bolts than drill bits

Last edited:
Try just a good sharp drill.

I broke out the OME bolts and just drilled with a new bit. and tapped 1/4-20

I now use Grade 2 bolts in it. I have never broke one except when trying to get the bolt out. The Michigan winter and Road salt mean that once they are in they seize up pretty quick

I can get away with it because I have a mild build and do mile wheeling.

Drill them with a reverse bit.

thats what we did you would be surpised to see how the bit backs the bolts out lol.

The ones that didnt come out we knocked out with a punch and bfh.

Back