• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed 703 Injectors...now CEL. Help....

jimmy21669

NAXJA Forum User
Installed my 703 injectors last night. After a few miles down the road, my CEL came on.

I am getting code 51 ODBI:

51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position (this may be tripped by a bad MAP sensor system causing a rich condition. If you get hot rough idle and stalling, especially on deceleration, accompanied by flooded engine and difficulty restarting, that can be a bad MAP sensor causing the O2 sensor to try to compensate. If you get poor cold drive-ability, stumbling and bucking, and acceptable warm driving with poor gas mileage (a drop of 10 mpg or more), that is usually the O2 sensor.
OR
51 Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

Obviously not the latter. But I am getting none of the symptoms listed above, on the contrary, it seems to be running well, but I CAN tell a difference in exhaust odors.

Can someone help me understand? Do I need a new o2 sensor? Is this common after this upgrade?

Thanks

First thing, have you unhooked the battery to reset the computer after installing the injectors? Of all the injector swap threads I've read everyone recomends doing this after installing them to give the computer a chance to re-learn everything with the new injectors. When I did the swap on my 99 I made sure to reset everything and enver had any problems.

Not saying it's a cure-all and that you may not have a problem, but what's it going to hurt?

has it happened consistently? As in started and ran several times? When I did mine I dropped the pressure in the line before pulling the injectors by running the engine without the pump on. When I restarted it I got some code for the fuel pump circuit that went away after it ran a couple times. Maybe yours was lean because of the initial startup but will work its way correct over time.

has it happened consistently? As in started and ran several times? When I did mine I dropped the pressure in the line before pulling the injectors by running the engine without the pump on. When I restarted it I got some code for the fuel pump circuit that went away after it ran a couple times. Maybe yours was lean because of the initial startup but will work its way correct over time.

That's what I am starting to think...I took off my battery disconnect while at work to let it sit all day....should reset the puter for sure in case I did not leave it off long enough.

I will update.

Back