• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unit bearing going bad I think

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So I just rebuilt my front axle about 2 months ago. 4.56 gears, aussie locker, brand new ball joints, brand new u-joints, custom steering links.

Well now I think the unit bearing are going bad. I get a continues clunk, like almost popcorn popping and it gets worse when Im on the break slowing down. It just sounds bad. And it has to be that. I dont think its the u-joint on my front driveshaft. Its coming from both side (pass and driver) so Im thinking unit bearing are going bad. What does it sound like/act like when unit bearings are going bad?

Out of all the hub that I've had go bad I never heard a clunk or popcorn of any sort. Each time I've had a lot of play in the bearing and sometimes got death wobble. Never a noise.

When did it start doing this? Does it do it all the time. What are the odds that BOTH hubs decided to crap out at the same time? Slim.

Jack the front end off the ground and spin the wheels. Do the bearings feel rough? Is it making noise now? Pin point the noise and get back to us.

From my experience, I would say it's not the hubs. Sounds like an issue with the locker or u-joints from the info you've given.

Let us know. ~ A

Does it worse when I turn at slow speeds. It does it going straight as well just not as bad. Even does it at faster speeds like 40 and 50 just you can barly hear it. It may be the aussie

Make sure those hub nuts are torqued down to spec. I think they have to be at 175 ft-lbs. When I installed my new unit bearings, the RCV axles came with coned nuts, which were super hard to tighten. I had some play in the bearing until I tightened it down to where it was supposed to be.

Back