• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hrew visual

Yup, if it looks like it has a seam then it's HREW. You can usually see it more clearly on the inside but the last piece I had you could see a seam on the outside pretty clearly.

i think i found around 50 sticks but not really sure... just cause its welded doesnt mean its hrew? does it?

couldn't the same be said of crew?

dom is not formed. DOM tubing is CREW or cold rolled electric welded. it is then Drawn Over a Mandrel, hence the DOM to give the ID and OD a tighter tolerance.

DOM tubing is also NOT seamless tubing. it has a seam it's just been pressed down.

dom is not formed. DOM tubing is CREW or cold rolled electric welded. it is then Drawn Over a Mandrel, hence the DOM to give the ID and OD a tighter tolerance.

Excuse my poor choice of words, but wouldn't "formed" be an accurate description for the laymen of what happens to DOM being drawn though a die and forced into specific sizes? Or is there a process of "forming" steel that I'm not aware of?

Sorry, not an engineer, just a firefighter...

we've determined there is HREW, and DOM which originates as CREW
so, you can buy both HREW and DOM, but can you also buy CREW?
and if so, how would you determine what is HREW -vs- CREW

sorry to hi-jack, but hoping to help clarify the original query... and may own curiosity.

CREW obviously also has a seam and is far stronger than HREW because of more even thickness. It seems to me that testing the ends of a number of the sticks for consistent wall thickness would answer the question? What do the rest of you think?

DOM tubing is also NOT seamless tubing. it has a seam it's just been pressed down.

You can also buy "seamless" DOM!

yes for the average joe "forming" could be used.

yes you can see the seam in DOM it's the slightly discolored line that runs the length of the tubing.

Yes you can buy just CREW tubing. it's just not as common, at least not around nwpa.

I know i'm being a dick about symantics, i'm just tired of reading things people take as fact when they aren't. CREW tubing is stronger than HREW due to the process used in the construction. the tolerances of the OD and ID are more for fabrication uses.

I'm sure an engineer will chime in and explain that the OD/ID will have some affect on the strength of the tubing, but come on now. we are just building cages to protect ourselves and our rigs. not multimillion dollar structures that have 300 code welders building them.

i'm no engineer either, i just did my homework on tubing before i built my cage.

My understanding is that the DOM we use is 1020 mild steel cold drawn over the mandrel. But since DOM is a process, I'm sure Hot and Cold ERW, along with seamless can all be DOM.

Back