• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank swap

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
If I install the tank out of an 89 RENIX 4.0 into my 96 4.0HO, will the sender and pump currently in the 89's tank work properly or should I swap them with my current units? My current sending unit is dead, so I was hoping the 89's would cooperate, and I just don't feel like swapping the pumps unless the 89's is dead. It worked when the Jeep last ran...

I'm swapping because my tank only holds 15 or so gallons out of its original 20 since it's been smacked a couple times...

IIRC, the sending units relay information to the gauge differently- you would want a sending unit for a '96 if you want it to function correctly. The good news is that the tanks are interchangeable between the years, but the "guts" will need to stay "vehicle specific."

No the pump will not work. Well let me rephrase that... If you take just the pump off the 89 sender and put it on the 96 sender it MIGHT work but never tried that. But I think and am pretty sure the senders are different. The 96 model year was all by itself with alot of parts as jeep was changing and trying some new things. That's why you see alot, fuel sender included, as 96 model year only

I have both those years and have done the Go Jeep "Getting more gas in your tank" mod on them both. Might as well do the mod while you're down there.

The tanks are slightly different inside also. One ('96 IIRC) has an extra fitting in the tank and rubber plug on the pump housing to keep the pump from moving around.

Mike

Dang. This delays my swap a little as I will have to buy a new sending unit. Why drop the tank more than once, right?

Any sources on a sending unit? I'm having a hard time finding anything that says it's for the 96 Cherokee. Also, best means for cleaning a gas tank?

Last edited:
?? check the system fuel pressure ratings. 96 and 89 different I think.

Save them 96 parts, maybe handy later.
(sender could just have a loose wire or something easy, hope.)

Get a new "O" ring from dealer for seal to tank.

. . . Also, best means for cleaning a gas tank?
I've met you, so.
After you've remove the tank, pulled the pump and drained the gas, find someone with a skinny arm to swab it out. I had my wife use an old towel dampened with alcohol.

Replace the gas and vent lines while you're at it. The '96 has a high pressure pump. I used plenty of hose clamps on mine.

Mike

XJ Gas tank that are interchangeable & capacity modification
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1042316
97+ are plastic and the mounting of the pump assembly is on top. Can be used one earlier XJ but lead to issues with the fuel gauge reading backwards.

96 and earlier should be interchangeable.

Capacity modification more gas from 20 to 23 gallons
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm

More info from Joe Peters
There were some major changes to the fuel system starting in 96. In 96 the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail was moved to the tank and one-year bast*rd fuel pump assembly was used.

In the 97+ they switched to a plastic fuel tank, moved the opening for the fuel pump assembly to the top of the tank so you have to drop the tank to get access to it. On the top of the plastic tank is a funky FPR/filter/check valve assembly. This is the likely culprit as the check valves fail FREQUENTLY. When they fail the fuel is allowed to drain back into the tank, so you are starting with zero pressure OR fuel in the lines--well, probably still a little bit in the low areas.

Gas Tank internal cleaner & sealer
Eastwood sells a gas tank cleaning and sealing kit
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gas-tank-...-for-cars.html

Back