• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surplus AW4 from Omix ADA, elec connections

RonS53

NAXJA Forum User
I saw the thread on everything you want to know about the AW4 but I don't see my exact problem.

I bought a new/surplus AW4 transmission from Omix-ADA and had it shipped to a local shop to do the swap. (The cost difference between the new transmission and a rebuilt was enough to pay for the swap, a great deal. I thought) The mechanic had it on the lift when he realized that the electrical connections are not the same. I thought since I had a 2001 Cherokee, from the last year of production, that a surplus transmission was a safe bet to fit, expecially since the numbers matched on the two transmissions.

The Jeep is a 2001 Cherokee with the 4.0L and no mods that I know of, I bought it from a dealer who had it out on lease so I hope that it had the original transmission in it after only 30,000 miles.

Does anyone have any experience with these surplus transmissions and could tell me if this is a simple wiring/plug problem or if this is the issue with the ISS being different?

Thanks

I purchased one of the surplus AW4,s back in 2008,put it in my 96XJ and its been fine for 60,000 + miles. It was a plug&play deal. Later models have different plugs and extra sensors that are not in these trannys.

And where can you find AW4 for 150?

And where can you find AW4 for 150?

Search with car-part.com there are several aw4 4x4 in Circleville, Oh for 69.95 unless thats a typo. Some come with a warranty, each dismantler has their own policies so it's good to ask first.

I just got off the phone with Omix tech support. They think that this 1996 trans will work with my 2001 XJ if we transfer one sensor from the old transmission. I have my doubts after reading Kastein's post on the AW4 but I am going to talk to the mechanic. I miss my CJ8, it all seemed so simple.

If anyone has any more information that would help I would appreciate hearing it, this is my daily ride to work and my wife is going quietly crazy being stuck at home all day while I drive her car.

Search with car-part.com there are several aw4 4x4 in Circleville, Oh for 69.95 unless thats a typo. Some come with a warranty, each dismantler has their own policies so it's good to ask first.

circleville is Marshall's

It's gigantic, I've been personally. Good people, my 8.8 came from there.

Want to thank everyone for the replies, the retailer is waiting for a promised RA number from Omix ADA then we will go with plan B.

Thanks to all.

In 1998 Chrysler added an extra transmission speed sensor totaling 2 transmission speed sensors compared to the previous one. This and minor plug differences make it extremely hard to put a pre-98 in a post-98 XJ. It is possible to put a post-98 AW4 in a pre-98 XJ by using an older AW4 wiring harness and deleting the extra speed sensor and swapping the other one for the older sensor. In order to make the pre-98 trans work in a post-98 you would need the newer harness and drill out the transmission case for the other sensor which would require you to take the transmission apart. All in all it is way more trouble to make it work than to find the right year transmission.

I have been telling Omix-ADA about it, I hope that they will add the year data to their product description on these transmissions to save other people the aggravation of ordering them, by now there are a lot of higher mileage XJs from the last 4 years of production. More people are going to order these and end up returning them if they don't clarify it.

Back