• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drilling out my knuckles!

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone ever drilled out there d30 knuckles to 7/8 holes? just wondering whats the minimum wall i can wheel with without stressing about it the whole trip!!
reason i ask is i have the jcr 1 ton steering, am getting ready to swap it to otk jcr while using the existing knuckles and running the teraflex tappered sleeves till i can get some new knuckles as i have to drill them straight through .. thanks

Damn, 7/8? Why not just drill and ream?

I guess if the inserts are welded in, it should give the steering arm a little bit of it's strength back. One of mine is drilled out to 3/4" but I welded in the goferit insert. Soon I'll be running Ruff Stuff OTK steering with heims using a 3/4" bolt, so both will be drilled out.

I wouldn't trust drilling out to 7/8". That doesn't leave a whole lot of meat. I'm kinda nervous about my tie rod that I just flipped and thats only a 3/4" hole. I'd prolly plate around the steering arm to add a little beef.

I have done 2 sets of the goforit spacers (3/4) and did the drill and ream for the JCR OTK steering with no problems. I did see on some vendors site selling spacers for the one ton ends that required you to drill a 1in hole but I chose to just drill and ream mine.

well 7/8 cuz it requires me to have a 3/4 tapper from the top down but i already have a tapper from the bottom, so to now go otk ill have to drill it completely through, the tapper sleeve is 3/4 and to accept it i have to drill @ least 7/8! thanks guys i might just sell my jcr and go with someone elses otk so i can run 3/4 hiems!

since its already 3/4" at the bottom just do 3/4" all the way through and run 7/8" heims with a 3/4" bolt. i am running that set up from ballistic on my DD. works great

Back