• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft Position Sensor

TERRor

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 4.0l @ ~267k miles.

I replaced the Crank Position Sensor (with an OEM CPS) and the Jeep died on me while driving a few days later leaving me stranded.....again. Still getting the code for crank/camshaft position center so I figured I would replace the Camshaft Position Sensor. One question....Where is it?

Went and looked on my 2001 TJ and it's not in the same place.

Do I need to change the entire distributor on a 97 XJ?

TIA

As posted previously... the Cam Position Sensor is inside the distributor. Just lift the distributor cap, remove the rotor and the CPS is the flat plate with the metal contact that triggers off the curved plate and has wires connected that connect to the harness outside the distributor going to the PCM. This tells the PCM which cylinder is approaching TDC and when to pulse the fuel injectors and fire the plugs.

I'm fighting the same problem. I'm thinking the camshaft sens. is keeping my injectors from pulsing. getting pressure at he rail, but no run. good luck with yours man.

Yes, some catalogs still refer to the camshaft position sensor as "stators" or "pickup coils".

Testing is never a bad idea, but you MUST test when the vehicle doesn't start, otherwise the test values may be in spec.

Just in case it wasn't quite clear above, the cam pos. sensor in the 97 is about a 30 second job to replace. Earlier ones required the distributor to come out and apart, but from 95 or so on, they put it on the top. Cap and rotor off, take sensor out, put back sensor rotor and cap, drive away.

Back