• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna suggestion

wildcat-xj

NAXJA Forum User
i didn't see a communications forum so i will ask here and let it get moved or deleted.

I have a 48" firestick mounted on a bracket on drivers side brake light. it works well for the radio but everytime i run through some branches it rips the brass screw tip on the mounting bracket. i tried a spring base but that killed the radios performance. is there a 48" whip? 102" whip seems just too long. could i trim a long whip down without destroying it?

thanks

Why not a 1/4 or 1/8 wave antenna?
In theory you could trim one down, would probably be easier to buy a shortie though

Firestik makes CB antennas from 2' to 7' get whatever size works.

You cannot cut down a CB antenna.

102" whip type CB antennas are not allowed on organized 4x4 runs.

If you want a 3-4' SS whip type CB antenna just Google a CB shop.

Last edited:
had it on the roof rack. ripped off twice. the fiberglass just doesn't have enough flex. i will check out the 1/4 and 1/8 wave antennas. radio shack has 102" whips for $20. i may get one and trim it down and see what happens.

Radio Shack Stainless Steel Mobile CB Antenna Model: 21-988 will hold up better.

You cannot trim down or shorten a CB antenna unless you are removing 1/4" or so to tune the SWR.

Everyone has their own opinion what antenna works the best for off roading...
I have been using the same stainless steel Wilson 1000 antenna & magnet mount on the roof for over 13 years.
The antenna s easy to tune, RX/TX performace is great and it is VERY durable (smacked against rocks, branches, lights in drive ups). Even when bent almost full horizontal; the s/s whip springs back to full vertical. There have only a few times when I tipped over the magnetic mount; when the tree branch smacked the load coil.
Wouldn't trade the Wilson 1000 for anything else.... except the 5000.

Get the k40 flex ( I think its called) its all I run cause You can bend it in a circle and it wont break. Plus its stiff enough that its not flying all over hitting the rig. And its tunable and they are sold in 2'-6' lengths. I love mine and the one I'm running now has survived a full roll, countless tree encounters and a few side driving

i didn't see a communications forum so i will ask here and let it get moved or deleted.

I have a 48" firestick mounted on a bracket on drivers side brake light. it works well for the radio but everytime i run through some branches it rips the brass screw tip on the mounting bracket. i tried a spring base but that killed the radios performance. is there a 48" whip? 102" whip seems just too long. could i trim a long whip down without destroying it?

thanks

I paid 800 bucks for my CB antenna mount.......:D

I've used K40 magnetic base in the past. Placed it dead center of all metal mass of the vehicle, Cherokee model 17, in order for the signal/reception strength to be projected in a circular radius from the vehicle. Why? Best as I understand it, rear mounted antennas are best used for signals towards the rear. Think of a rearward 'headlight' beam pattern. Likewise, a front mounted antenna works like a forward headlight beam pattern. Convoy vehicles; lead vehicle has antenna on a rear mount, therfore communications are rearwards. The tailing vehicle has the antenna mounted on the front end, therefore communicating forwards. The central command vehicle, has the antenna directly in the middle of the steel mass in order to gain communications from both. In this way, the convoy has optimum communications maintained as closely as possible for general containment of broadcasts. No scattered mis-directed signals, i.e., a side door roof mounted antenna will direct the field 90 degrees away from that side of the vehicle, with little ability to transmit/receive forwards, or backwards, or from 180 degrees away from said opposite mounted position. My vote is for the middle of the vehicle, roof magnetic base mounted, K40 or Wilson, etc., especially for interstate travel, or for wheeling with a club. Should someone in the club get behind, or too far ahead, move the base towards the direction of the lost soul(s). Let the steel mass field of your vehicle work for you.

The $20 radio shack 9 ft whip is the best antenna I have ever used.

Back