• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone measure their sensor ground?

CoastieCJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need some troubleshooting help on my 94 4.0. If someone can disconnect one of their sensors (I'm guessing water or intake air would be easiest) and then measure the sensor ground resistance to the negative battery post (black with blue stripe on my 94). I'm looking to compare the difference between key off and key on. I believe 91-95 all use the same protected sensor ground from the ECU.
For some reason I'm getting a clean ground with the key off (under 1 ohm) but when I turn the key to on, the resistance jumps to 35+ ohms. I think this may be causing my bogging/sputtering issue.
Thanks!
-Lloyd

I need some troubleshooting help on my 94 4.0. If someone can disconnect one of their sensors (I'm guessing water or intake air would be easiest) and then measure the sensor ground resistance to the negative battery post (black with blue stripe on my 94). I'm looking to compare the difference between key off and key on. I believe 91-95 all use the same protected sensor ground from the ECU.
For some reason I'm getting a clean ground with the key off (under 1 ohm) but when I turn the key to on, the resistance jumps to 35+ ohms. I think this may be causing my bogging/sputtering issue.
Thanks!
-Lloyd
You never read ohms with power in the circuit. Any small voltage offset will screw up your reading. What you are seeing is something I would expect to see. Just for a backgroung, I'm and electrical engineer.

You never read ohms with power in the circuit. Any small voltage offset will screw up your reading. What you are seeing is something I would expect to see. Just for a backgroung, I'm and electrical engineer.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I only know enough about electronics to make me dangerous. Of course, the downside to this is I still have no idea what's going on with the engine. Back to the drawing board!

Back