• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thrush muffler?

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i was looking at thrush mufflers at summit. i know a lot of guys run them so i want to know which one. there are 100 ?s that summits site asks. i dont know anything about the size i need. my jeep is an 89 renix. i was going to go with another brand but for the price of the trush you cant beat it. im just going to put it on my stock pipe so all i need is the muffler.

Get under your rig, measure the in and out size piping, and whether it's center/offset in and outlet. The one on my 98 is 2.25 I think, but it's pretty long.

I have one on my V8 TJ, and it sounds cheap. Not sure how ling it's going to last, when it breaks in it sort of sounds like it's getting worse. :D

They are 30 bucks at the local auto parts store. I run one and it sounds good.

I installed this one a few weeks ago...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17651/10002/-1

It installed very easily just had to pick up some fittings from the parts store. The only thing with the one I installed was that the tail pipe section on mine was 2 inch. So i just removed it and threw on a 45 degree elbow on the end and dumped it right after the can.

It sounds really nice idling and in the lower rpm ranges. Once it gets over 3kish you don't even notice it.

I like it a lot.

They are 30 bucks at the local auto parts store. I run one and it sounds good.
To add to this are you talking about a glasspack or the welded muffler?

im not exactly sure. ive alway run flow masters 40 series. i believe the welded one is the one i want. what the difference between the regular welded one and the turbo? and you mean u dump the down pipe right after the muffler? do you have any problems with the exhaust fumes coming in the jeep? om my toyotas i alway dumped them right after the rear axle.

im not exactly sure. ive alway run flow masters 40 series. i believe the welded one is the one i want. what the difference between the regular welded one and the turbo? and you mean u dump the down pipe right after the muffler? do you have any problems with the exhaust fumes coming in the jeep? om my toyotas i alway dumped them right after the rear axle.

I never had problems with it. It kinda faces the passenger rear tire. It was just the simplest place to dump it because i didn't want to reduce down to 2 inch pipe to go out the tail pipe.

The turbo is a baffled glass pack type muffler not good for a wheeling environment.
jshot.jpg

The welded is a chamber style muffler like flow masters.
images

The only thing I do not like is that when your sitting in water stuck the muffler is completely under and could fill up if the engine died.

I got stuck and sat for around 20 minutes before getting unstuck with the motor running and the muffler sounding like a boat lol.

But it is easy to support it just run the hanger bolt under the rear seat.

i have a thrush glass pack on mine and i love it . i to dumped it before the axle and it does fine, i have run cherry bombs on all my toys and i couldnt find one to put on the xj so i tried the thrush ..........i love it .

which is better the glass pak or the welded?

Well if you want it to sound decent get the welded. If you want it to sound like crap get a glasspack. IMO, Glasspacks are garbage and should never be put on ANYTHING!!!! :puke:

glass packs work well if they are put in the middle of the exhaust and another REAL muffler near the end

That may be true but how many people actually do that? :D Most the time its some jackass in a Long bed Chevy with glass packs and straight pipes that sound like they are smakcing off the bumper! :rolleyes:

I've ran thrush turbo welded on two of my xjs (96 4.0 and 97 4.0) both dumped right after the muffler (with stock cat). they do drone a bit but are pretty deep. MUCH louder than stock, and much louder than dynomax. they have set off car alarms when pulling into parking spots or going down a crowded road. could have something to do with it just dumping though. for $30 each at local parts store its worth it for me.

im going to go with the welded one. im going to check pepeboys because i know they carry thrush parts. if not ill just order it from summit.

Just for you, I'm gonna throw some glasspacks on my Ford 390...;)

That was directed at Flexd

Back