• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with new locker fitment - Dana 35

Zkriz_

NAXJA Forum User
XJ 1996 dana 35 rear with ABS & c-clip.

Locker I believe is a lock right (what I was told). Is there a model number on these things anywhere so I can figure out which one I have?

I disassembled the rear spider gears hoping to get this used locker installed tonight only to find disappointment. When I try to put in the new locker side gear where the bearing is it is just barely too large to fit in the hole. The splines fit great. I assume the locker I got is for the non c-clip dana 35 axle? Right now I've put the spider gears back in and everything is working fine.

My question is... I'm thinking about taking the side spider gears back out along with both of the locker side gears and taking them to a machinist shop locally. I'd ask them to mill the locker side gears down to the same size as the stock spider gears. I don't see why this wouldn't work but I'd like to hear what you guys think?

I know the dana 35 isn't the greatest option to throw money at but I got the locker at a great price so I figured why not.

There should be some letter or numbers stamped on the locker parts, post them here.

Are you following the correct install procedures ? If the side gear doesn't fit, you probably have a locker for a different axle.

Machining the locker is not a good idea. The locker metal is probably surface hardened and if you remove any metal you will get down to the softer inner metal which will wear quickly.

You may have to sell your the locker and purchase the correct part number for your axle.

Yeah, followed everything like I was supposed to as far as I know. About the side gear though it is just plain too big. I compared the stock side spider gear and the locker side gear there was a small visible difference in size. I don't have calipers to measure the exact difference between the two. I'll get those numbers that are stamped on them posted up here to see if we can figure out what it is.

Sounds like I'll be selling this one to buy another. Not a big deal just a set back.

Thanks.

Back