• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker Question

Jeepfred

NAXJA Forum User
Need help on finding a locker to get. It's my everyday vehicle and I want as little interference as possible on my street driving. How it effect turning and stuff. Lockright Vs. Detroit, etc.

Thanks

Front or rear? A rear locker no matter what brand will effect your turning ability. I run Aussies F&R on the street and have zero issues.

what about an ARB with a matching, functioning air compressor, and a driver who can flip switches?

not all lockers are ratcheting autolockers. i ran an aussie out back for 3 years, and hated it everyday. did a temp open rear axle swapout, and now that it's gone, i miss it.

I also have an Aussie in my 8.25.. Just installed it with 4.56's last weekend. There are no problems whatsoever on the street. Just be careful in turns adding the go pedal. It will lock up and chirp the inside tire around the corner. Otherwise clickity-clickity-clikity around the U turn as it ratchets. Aussie is a really good deal $ wise.

what about an ARB with a matching, functioning air compressor, and a driver who can flip switches?

not all lockers are ratcheting autolockers. i ran an aussie out back for 3 years, and hated it everyday. did a temp open rear axle swapout, and now that it's gone, i miss it.

What did you hate about the Aussie?

Detroit Softlocker in my rear axle. Very little impact daily. It occasionally chirps a tire during or shortly after a turn, but I don't even hear any clicking around turns.

ARB is selectable run by air, OX is cable actuated, E-locker and Auburn ECTED are electric. E-locker can be hard to find, ECTED is a limited slip when unlocked, and clamps the limited slip into a locker when actuated.

The only autolocker I would (and do) run is a Detroit Softlocker. Even then it can be squirrely, but you learn how to drive them pretty quick. They get pretty tame over the years.

If you can afford it get a selectable, like an ARB, OX, or Eaton E-locker.

i run arb's in both ends of my street / trail xj & love it.
my trail only xj has spools on both ends & i hate them, they will be switched out to arb's in the future.

I also have an Aussie in my 8.25.. Just installed it with 4.56's last weekend. There are no problems whatsoever on the street. Just be careful in turns adding the go pedal. It will lock up and chirp the inside tire around the corner. Otherwise clickity-clickity-clikity around the U turn as it ratchets. Aussie is a really good deal $ wise.

same thing! But I have it in the front. My aussie is louder then shit. I can here it clicking and clunking all over the place when Im driving. Anoying for my DD.

Ive got a power trac in the rear. And everyone I talked to said O you wont ever know its there or hear it. I hear mine all the time. Unloading when I slow down and just clunking on me. Have had a shop check them both out and everything was fine just the way they are.

If you have the money I vote ARB's. Never know there there, and you can run open if you want untell you have to lock them in.

What did you hate about the Aussie?

I had a particularly loud aussie, it clanked like CRAZY. there were 3 identical d44's built for around my 'group', all aussie'd. 2 were automatics, 1 was manual, my automatic, daily driver was LOUD..... tried a an extra thick cover.... tried thicker fluid... could not get it to go away. it was professionally installed.... broke in properly, etc etc. the other automatic is sliiiightly loud, but the manual transmission one was nice and silent... cant tell if its driving style or what, but it's loud and clanky.

AND PLEASE, people, dont respond that 'oh, it'll get quiet after a couple months... " i cannot tell you how many times ive heard this, and its bullshit. like i said, 3 years.

offroad, the thing is awesome.
i might try a spartan locker next time, but reluctantly, i'd run another aussie.

I've had the same aussie in two different axles now and one was louder (more clunky) than the other which I thought way weird but it turned out that it was the setup not the locker that was the issue, I'm still running it 5 years later now. If the measurements are dead on it will be noisier. Taking the time to actually take the various measurements (that are mentioned twice in the instructions and necessary that they be recorded for warrantee purposes) and getting the proper shims to get it so it's not on the fringes of window are the keys to a quiet aussie. Most people just slap them in, don't bother to take the time to even try and read the directions let alone follow all the steps then they complain that the locker is garbage or it doesn't work right. Both of mine are quiet and I'll continue to use them. Even if you gave me an ARB I'd still keep the aussies, I'd go out and sell the ARB and spend the money on something I can really use like gas and food for my family.

If you can only get one locker I say get a Spartan for the front. The Spartan is the best lunchbox on the market at the best price and putting one in the front first will give you more of a gain than in the rear first.

I have an Eaton elocker in back and a arburn e locker in front I like them both but the eaton works better. Sure is nice to just push a button to turn them on and when they are off they are like a open diff.

In a lower cost nice to drive application:
Spartan Front
Zip Air Locker rear
Aprox - 850$ (plus comp if you dont have one 130$)

In a super cheap, semi rough application:
Spartan front
Spartan Rear
Aprox - 500$

In a performance application:
Zip Air locker front
Zip Air locker rear
Aprox - 1200$ (plus that comp if you dont have one 130$)

I have the Auburn E-locker in the back. I work great for me with 30" tires and mild wheeling. I never have the problem that others complain about. I bought it for the limited slip and thought if I get a locker at the same time then I get a two-for. The limited slip work great on and off road.

Will I buy another Auburn E-locker? No, I will not. I do not like the two piece locking hub on the axel spline. I think it could be the weak link that would/could cause the axle to break because of insuficent spline engagement.

Next time around, I will get either a selectable locker or an agressive Limited Slip for the back and a selectable locker up front.

I have the Auburn E-locker in the back. I work great for me with 30" tires and mild wheeling. I never have the problem that others complain about. I bought it for the limited slip and thought if I get a locker at the same time then I get a two-for. The limited slip work great on and off road.

Will I buy another Auburn E-locker? No, I will not. I do not like the two piece locking hub on the axel spline. I think it could be the weak link that would/could cause the axle to break because of insuficent spline engagement.

Next time around, I will get either a selectable locker or an agressive Limited Slip for the back and a selectable locker up front.

Just to clarify...

Your Auburn electric locker is not a "E-Locker" but rather a ECTED.

Just trying to keep this accurate as the Eaton electric locker is called a "E-Locker" so when people say they have the Auburn E-Locker its not correct. Its the Auburn electric ECTED locker.

:chef:

this question so highly depends on what you desire, cash on hand, mechanical ability/willingness, etc. that its impossible to answer without knowing more.

Ive got a spartan up front and a no-slip in the rear and I dont think I could be much happier. I hear the spartan clicking faintly from time to time (only tight parking lot turns) and obviously I never hear the no-slip since it is supposed to not make noise. Only thing that is unfortunate is not being able to select the rear, so I skip a tire from time to time pulling out into a busy street but other than that driving is completely like stock

Back