• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME vs. Rusty's Coils

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
!!!1
Going to finally get my new susp. as my leafs have given up. Read a lot about claims of 2-3" of lift on post and distributors but I am not finding much on part numbers and other things to address on smaller lifts.

98' UpCountry DD/weekend warrior with 30's no HD bumpers or winch, plan to get Detours tail bone in future and don't want to go over 3" tall would prefer about 2.5". Looking at OME/ARB page OME930 = 1.75" (some claim more), so I was considering OME934 (some claim 2"+), then in rear CS034RA = 2.25" or CS033RB 2.75".

Final option is Rusty's 3" coils with OME rear. (save about $50)

Questions...
How much lift do these actually provide? (I would prefer it to sit level)
Will the OME934 be to stiff or to tall? (The front UpCountry springs have been good, just a tad soft)
What else do I have to address with this height lift? I will check brake lines, but will I need SYE, or t-case drop, adj. trac bar, etc?

Appreciate it, plan to put order in by early next week.:wow:

I got almost 3.5 on OME 934 coils with a heavy bumper. I also got about that much out back with CS034RA leafs with the extra leaf. Rides pretty nice too!

I have Rustys HD Coils up front and OME HD Dakar Springs in the rear. They sit level, the Rear springs say 2 in or 2.5 cant remember bought them through quadratech. I have a custom front winch bumper and I sit just at 3.5 inches. it would be level if I didnt have the 1 inch boomerang shackles in the rear. The ride of this setup is perfect in my opinion. It flexes great rides great, and absorbs the bumps. I can load it up with gear and not sag either. As far as the up country package you already have I think you have 1 inch of lift, so when you pull your springs off, and go with something else you will loose that. If you put on a 3 inch lift you should be the same height as say a sport that put on the same 3 inch lift.

I bought used OME 934's and the CS034RA's (medium duty leaves I believe). Anyways, netted about 2.75" in front and about 1.75" in the rear as measured from the flares based on the generally accepted stock numbers of 17.5" front/17" rear. I am running Bilstein 5100 shocks listed for 2-3" of lift. The only extra weight is from 31" tires and a TC skid right now.

It's my DD and I find the ride up front to be quite stiff. I am thinking of putting in either the OME 930 springs with a 1" spacer or the Rusty 3" non-HD coils to try and soften it up. The rear seems to ride pretty good but it sits lower than I expected but this may be due to however the previous owner used them. I am tossing around the idea of the OME AAL or a 1" shackle.

... I am running Bilstein 5100 shocks...
...It's my DD and I find the ride up front to be quite stiff...

The stiff ride may be due to the Bilsteins as apposed to the OME's. 5100's are describes as a "Firm" ride where most other brands are a "medium/comfort" ride. Had OME light duties on my JK, one of the softest rated springs, along with 5100's and those made it a bit firm.

I have 934s in the XJ,I got 3" out of them.
IMAG1070.jpg

Thanks for the pic MnkyBoy looks like a nice rig. It's sounding like I would probably prefer the OME930 and CS034RA rear as I don't want to stiff of a ride or to go over 3". I called and talked to Dirk at DPG for a few yesterday, nice guy. But the price of the Ultimate kit sure is up there. I was hoping to spend on the high side of $800, not $1200. I can easily order the springs seperate to save a few bucks.

Any suggestions on cheaper shocks that ride decent? I could always upgrade down the road when budget allows, but it's more of a PIA to replace springs than shocks later.

Has anyone had to deal with SYE or t-case drop do to vibrations, or not for this small of lift?

You'll probably want to do a SYE, You can do a t-case drop but thats more of a bandaid.

OME 934's gave me 2.5 in the front after a year. They are a little soft for me as I have no heavy equipment up front yet. Cant remember what rears I got the 33ra or 34 ra's the ones with the overloadwith 2 ome add a leafs gave me 4" in the rear and made it stiff but perfect for all the hauling I do. Had to lower transfercase 1/2" to keep driveshaft from binding on the yoke.

I went with the red edelbrock shocks that come on the JK Rubicons, my buddy bought one and put a lift on right away so I got them for free, They replaced some OME that I wore out. These new shocks are the Best shock I have ever used they handle great perfect firmness, plus you can pick up a set of 4 on ebay for 50 bucks. worth a look.

Back