• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ, blown engine. What to replace on new engine before installin?

Jcline68

NAXJA Forum User
Guy's, I will be honest, I am a short term visiter. I am replacing a blown engine in my sister in laws 2001 Cherokee with a Junk Yard engine. Before I install the new engine I was wondering what I should replace. I am going to do typical stuff like spark plugs, Serp. belt... I know they have Timing Chains so I am not worried about that. What about the Rear main seal and Water Pump? Anything else? Any "Gotch Ya's" that I should look out for during the install?

Thank you.

Not to second quess you but what makes you think it's blown? It somewhat rare that the jeep 4.0 blows. Most of the time it needs a head gasket job, or the head cracks which is all fix able without removing the engine. So I'm curious what you are considing blown.

But as far as what to replace. If using a junk yard motor it's already out so you might as well rebuild it. Well a minor rebuild anyways. Like the main and rod bearings the oil pump new head gasket, new waterpump, timing gears and chain( depending on mileage they do stretch), and get a full gasket kit to. That's would be my short list of the minimum since it is out a d you can do it all real easy.

When I crank it or try to start it I can hear pecies\parts "clonking" around inside the engine. It was severly over heated and parts broke.

What is the trick to getting the Upper Transmission bolts out? They are a Star bolt, do you know what size it is?

tried using the torx bit with bad luck, but have had good luck using a 6pt 3/6 socket, its honestley almost easier pulling thje engine trans tcase as one

So all 3 will come out while still hooked together or do I need to drop the T-Case and pull the motor and Trans together?

Guy's, I will be honest, I am a short term visiter. I am replacing a blown engine in my sister in laws 2001 Cherokee with a Junk Yard engine. Before I install the new engine I was wondering what I should replace. I am going to do typical stuff like spark plugs, Serp. belt... I know they have Timing Chains so I am not worried about that. What about the Rear main seal and Water Pump? Anything else? Any "Gotch Ya's" that I should look out for during the install?

Thank you.

guessing the head went and she kept driving, make sure you don't put in another 0331 head from the JY, you can take all three out, much easier on a stock xj....or you could have someone jump up and down on the front crossmember to shimmy it out

top two tranny bolts come off with a 10mm, done it 3 times so far and replaced with a normal bolt

guessing the head went and she kept driving, make sure you don't put in another 0331 head from the JY, you can take all three out, much easier on a stock xj....or you could have someone jump up and down on the front crossmember to shimmy it out

top two tranny bolts come off with a 10mm, done it 3 times so far and replaced with a normal bolt

Thanks. I will be pulling all 3 in the morning. Thanks again. I sure I will be back with more questions.

Well, it is out. now to get everything swapped to the new engine. The new engine (from a 2000 XJ) had the O2 holes pluged on the on the manafold, is that normal? Because of that I now need to swap over the old wire harness. Thanks for all the help. Hope to have it all back together Saturday.

Sounds like you have a Federal emissions package engine going into a cali emissions vehicle. If you swap the harness from the doner you will need the PCM as well. Or open up the O2 sensor holes and put the sensors in.

That is kind of what I thought. I swapped the harness and the O2 sensors from the bad engine on to the new engine.

Well I replaced the head gasket adn sure enough it is the 0331 head. I dont have the money for a new one now so it is going to have to work. Praying that aNew water pump, T-Stat and Radiator will keep everythink cool. It is all going back in today.

Fired it up yesterday and it ran great. Metal gas line rusted throught at the intake where the metal clip was securing it. Need to fix that and it is out of my garage. Good Luck Sis-in-law.

Thank you guys for the help. This is a very knowledgeable group.

oil pan gasket
rear main seal
valve cover gasket
all the gaskets in the front
new oil pump
new rod bearings
new main bearings

and last but not least... a head gasket would be easy while the engine is on a stand

Back