• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a chance to buy a dana 44 is it worth it?

yenkoz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to buy a dana 44 out of a 1987 XJ to upgrade my dana 35C in my 1990 is it worth picking up for $450? Also I just need the complete axle and driveline to do the swap right?

$450 would be highway robbery out here - the price is closer to $300 max for an XJ D44 rear out here. It depends how the market in your area is.

what do rear axles cost at the junkyards near you? if you can pickup axles all day for $200, then pickup a chry 8.25. if there arent any junkyards, or theyre prohibitively expensive..... talk him down to 400... and drink that day so it doesnt hurt as much...

and that thing BETTER be ready to run.... newish brakes, e-brake cables, i'd make him throw in lugnuts for that price...

It's NOT an upgrade if you don't need it.
Ever have much axle problems?
Going to bigger tires?
More or harder offing planed.
Your an old hand at offing and you know this is what you will need?
Answer yes to any of the above and I would say yes.
Else all you would get out of it is bragging right.

250 maybe depending on mileage. i beat the hell out of a 35 with 34's and never had a problem. just keep an eye on the bearings. 450 is way too much in my opinion.

Overpriced, even for Montana. 8.25 axles can be had all day long for $200 - $250, in good shape. Grab one of those and tell the guy with the 44 good luck, find someone else to rip off.

agreed with everyone else, thats way too much for a stock dana 44 that could possibly need all new brakes and even a rebuild.

i paid just a tad more than that asking price for a dana 44 with an aussie locker, 4.56's, a solid diff cover, and all brand new brake hardware, ready to bolt-in and go.

if it's closets to you, needs little to no work.. go for it, if not look for a 8.25 for cheap but the Dana44's do cost $$ but also have good size drum brakes!

Last edited:
I've seen them for $400 - $600 around me (philly pa). I haven't seen one cheaper than that. You can get the empty housing for $100. I'm in the market for a new rear and was thinking about this as an option but i think i might go the 8.25 route, or swap in the d35.

As an update the rear end didn't have the drums/harware or any of the brakes, so I told the guy $200 and he wouldn't come down. I called a local salvage yard and they have a 8.25 out of a 97, which I assume is the 29 spline version for $150 with a warranty. Monday I'll check it out and most likely buy it, thanks for the advice everyone. Is there anything that I have to do to adapt the newer 8.25 to my 1990 jeep? Or will it bolt right in?

And I do plan on a lift and lockers as soon as I finish up my Isuzu trooper. I just want a rear I won't have to worry about on the trail with a locker and 31's.

$450 with no brakes!?! They must smoke the good stuff up there.

Get the 1997 8.25 - it will bolt right up. It will have bigger axle tubes than the D35 so you cannot reuse your existing ubolts. Go get 4 ubolts with a 3" inside diameter.

For my $450 and from a NAXJA member here, I got a D44 with an Auburn and 4.56 gearing, and new brakes.

You're coming up short for your $450......

Back