• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering feels like it ratchets while turning

RadioShackSpecial

NAXJA Forum User
Hard to describe the issue but I will try my best.

When making low speed turns, left or right, I get what I can only describe as a ratcheting effect which translates through the steering wheel. Meaning while making the low speed turn the steering will go soft, then seems to stiffen up, then soft again, then stiff and so on till I get going straight.

Last night I jacked up the front end went over the TRE and Ball joints but could not find anything worn. When I tried to Google my problem the only thing I could find was a 'gent that said his did something similar and he ended up replacing U-Joints but never really followed up after that. The U-Joints on my heep seemed to be in good shape, no abnormal play.

The only other thing I could think of was caster? The tires are starting to feather so I need to adjust the caster a bit more. Would that cause the steering wheel to ratchet? This problem only started in the past week or so and have made no changes duriong that time.

1996, 4.0, aw4, D30. Lift 4.5" on 31" tires. Alignment was done 6 months ago. All new TRE and wheel bearings. IRO trac bar and adjustable upper/lower arms.

Sometimes there can be a slight amount of steering wheel wiggle during sharp turns. When they are at sharp angles, the u-joints actually speed up and slow down as they spin, instead of spinning smoothly.

If you u-joints are older, apply some preventative maintenance and replace them.

could also be the steering shaft. mine does it. just never fixed the rubber bushing cuz it has a mechanical stop- and i havnt gotten around to it =0 -something to look at

I did check the steering shaft and there was a little play but not enough to be a concern.

I took another look at the front end with more focus on the U-Joints. The drivers side catches when rotated at full lock so that seems to be my problem child. Spicer it is, thanks for the help.

Back