• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrecked 05 Rubicon for $950....Need to know what will bolt in my 98 XJ

usmc97hd

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been kicking around the idea of building a Cherokee Rubicon for several years. The only real stopper was the price for the parts. Well as luck would have it a friends wife roller her 2005 Rubicon a little over a week ago. Its an automatic with only 12K on it. The body is completely trashed but it runs and drives fine. His insurance company is letting him keep it for $950. I will be picking it up from him this week.

So here goes my questions. I am starting with a 1998 4.0 auto 4x2 2door XJ Sport. I need to know if the auto trans/Rubicon transfer case combo will bolt up to my 98 engine? Will my computer work with the newer trans? I know i will have to remove the control arm brackets and weld on spring perches to the rear axel. Will the front axel bolt right into the XJ? I plan on using the whole set up for the lockers so all the locker wiring from the Rubicon will be used.

Any info or suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks!

wow, thats a hell of a price. the t-case alone sometimes sells for that much. obviously you've got the axle swap down, the t-case is also a desirable swap with the 4:1 low range, just gotta make your own shifter linkage.

not too sure on the tranny though, if i had to guess i would say the wiring at the least would be different. your AW4 you have now is a pretty stout tranny as it is.

My main problem with the AW4 i have in the XJ now is that is it transfer case challenged. I am hoping the whole trans/transfer case combo would bolt right in. Hate to have to buy another trans.

Yea. I'd sell the trans, engine, wiring, and ECU. Somebody will buy it and im sure it would pay for what you have into it. Get yourself a 4X4 aw4, run the 4:1 t case, front and rear axles. Rewire the lockers so you can lock the front and rear independently. Sell the little electric air compressor and make yourself a nice belt driven OBA setup. But thats all just all me...

The trans will almost certainly be a real pain in the ass / not worth adapting. The good news is that if you can find a 4x4 trans from a cherokee, you have:
front axles that should bolt in
rubicon tcase
& with a little work
rear 44 axle with factory disc

Lockers to boot.
Hell, take the wheels / tires too.
Go nuts
It will be worth every penny and then some

My main problem with the AW4 i have in the XJ now is that is it transfer case challenged. I am hoping the whole trans/transfer case combo would bolt right in. Hate to have to buy another trans.

read your first post wrong, thought it said 4x4. like mentioned just pick up an aw4 4wd tranny, there not that expensive.

The trans will almost certainly be a real pain in the ass / not worth adapting. The good news is that if you can find a 4x4 trans from a cherokee, you have:
rubicon tcase
& with a little work

Lockers to boot.
Go nuts

rubicon tcase
& with a little work

Lockers to boot.
Go nuts
x2.. a 241OR T-case with 12k miles is worth $1200 alone:worship:

why cant you use the trans out of the rubicon? they are aw4's right? i would take the whole drrivetrain out of the rubicon. especially if it only has 12k on it. motor all the way to the rear axle. then sell all your old stuff and add more new stuff to your xj. DO NOT give up any part of that rubicon. everything on it is like gold in a tj world. do your homework before you get rid of any parts from it. you have a golden ticket here use it wisely.

How trashed is the body? I would add some rear corners and flares, front high line fenders, build a new roll cage and add a soft top, maybe a new windshield frame and be done.

You'll have a kickass rubicon for under 5k by the time you are done.

-Alex

why cant you use the trans out of the rubicon? they are aw4's right? i would take the whole drrivetrain out of the rubicon. especially if it only has 12k on it. motor all the way to the rear axle. then sell all your old stuff and add more new stuff to your xj. DO NOT give up any part of that rubicon. everything on it is like gold in a tj world. do your homework before you get rid of any parts from it. you have a golden ticket here use it wisely.

Don't use the motor out of that...The oil pump system in the 05/06 TJ's is known to fail really early (15-40K). The design of the bearing and seal locations cause one of the bearings to burn up and chew up the cam gear and the cam.

tj trannies are junk. in fact many tj guys swap them out for aw4's when they do go.

but yea. buy the rubicon. you can make an easy 3-4 grand if you even decide to just part it out

Back