• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 + built dana44 Questions

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been doing some research on building a front 44 and have some questions.

First, I want to be able to run 35s and have no axle problems. I don't want to continue to build my 30.

I want to keep my rear 8.25 becaue it is "built" (disk brakes, 4:56s, No-slip, superior shafts, cover). From researching this should be able to hold up to 35s no problem.

For the front I am looking at either a waggy 44 or ford 70-76 44. Either way it will get ARB, 4:56s, chromoly shafts, truss.

Waggy 44 would be the easiest because of the width but it's low pinion, I know many will agrue thats fine but the ford is hp. The ford would be cut to waggy width. I will probably run the one that I can find first for a good deal.

Questions are, does anyone offer a truss for the ford axle after it has been narrowed? And who is running one of these axles with a 8.25 in the rear? I want to run the same wheels front and back so I was looking at getting wheel adapters for the rear to match the front, but it will also space the rear 1.5 to 2 inches out.

I have also looked into the G2 axles because I will be at a similar cost but they look to be low pinion and you still use dana 30 outers.

Last edited:
I would run the 30. Do some quality alloys, gears, and locker. Warn hubs if you want. I've been running that for quite a few years. Especially if you are staying with the 8.25 in the rear. IF you spend al the money on a D44, you'll end up with the same u-joints and yokes. The 30 holds up just fine with 35s, don't let the internet dissuade you.

But ignore this if you have your mind made to spend money unnecessarily. :)

I went with a waggy 44 mostly because of cost, parts availability, and true hubs (this was big for me). Obviously bigger ring and pinion. I didn't keep the 8.25 though. If you do upgrade and keep the 8.25 out back you will have to do something about bolt pattern, adapters or redrill the back. The waggy has 6 on 5.5, ford is 5 on 5.5 or 8 bolt.

Don't forget a truss. A 30 can be built to withstand 35s.

If you go for the 44, I think you should be able to find a Ford axle with 5x5.5. Alloy USA shafts are dual drilled. If yours aren't, you should be able to get them drilled.

Back