• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Gets HOT

t-frady

NAXJA Forum User
How hot should the AX15 get?
I don't have carpet just Hurculiner
Using 10W30 SYN
when I say it gets hot I mean it will warm up cab in winter and now that summer is coming around it gets really hot on my leg and even makes my boots hot
Is this normal or is it about to fail, different lube needed,or what
Its out of a 94 i think (its still internal slave) other than that just a little whine but has done that ever since the new flywheel clutch and clutch components. but It got hot before the new stuff.
So what you think?
Thanks Travis

I've got the AW4 with herculined interior with everything removed and it gets hot as shizz now in the cab (i.e the trans tunnel is basically too hot to touch) with the warmer weather. Check your fluid level, but the heat is probably just from the lack of sound deadening/heat insulation

The transmission tunnel will get hot, and it's not just from the transmission, either. You might want to check to see if the inner boot (under the shifter boot) that seals the transmission tunnel isn't torn.

why are you using that 10w-30 synthetic?

the FSM calls for a 75w-90 GL-4

That is what I was thinking too, but what do I know,....I have an AW4. Is that the reason your transmission run hot? It is possible. :dunno:

I'm pretty sure that GL5 is hostile to yellow metals, i.e., it'll corrode away the synchros. I don't remember if GL4 is, I'm pretty sure that GL3 is safe. Having said that, I'm running Redline MT-90 in mine.

I've heard the same, GL5 is bad. I've never done a full flush on mine, so I don't really know what's in there, but I've topped it off a couple times with 10w30.

Mine gets real hot too. Not as bad as where the exhaust sits right next to the floor on the passenger side (that can melt plastic), but it's still plenty hot and will make your feet sweat.

Personally I recommend driving through lots of mud puddles to keep it cool.

mine gets ridiculously hot too. its been that way for a few years now. It actually detonated a lighter that fell out of my buddy pocket. it still works fine. my advice if you dont like the heat is to take your doors off.

LOL thanks guys I DO take the doors off and the inner shift boot is torn or missing I don't remember from the swap
Where can I get a New one from is it just called an inner shift boot?
I will do a lil looking around
Does anyone know of a product i could put on the tunnel on the inside closest to the tranny to keep it cooler
Like a dyna mat product or something simmilar

Inner or lower shift boot, I think. You should be able to work up something from a heavy inner tube if nothing else.

Hey Guys, I want to talk about the heat on the floor of my jeep. The trans tunnel is HOT! It cooks my right foot. So I installed a trans cooler. Still HOT! I purchased an infrared point and click thermometer. I took temps after 50 miles on highway, engine left running. Trans 196 f. oil pan 201 f. Exhaust pipe.... 507!! at the collector, 312 at the front of the cat, 280 at the rear and 196 at the front of the muffler w 157 at the rear. The heat on my foot seems to be from the exhaust pipe. Do i need a new cat?

I was wondering if it has something to do with the airflow under the Jeep now that I have removed the splash shield and lifted the truck 6 inches?

hi-jacked, but hes a new guy.

put a tranny cooler on it. hahaha jk frady.
put alot of bedliner on it and quit crying lmfao.
of add an electric fan under there. hahaha

I am sorry about that, I assume your talking about me? Where should I put the question? I thought it pertained to the same thing.

How hot should the AX15 get?
I don't have carpet just Hurculiner
So what you think?

I pulled the carpet a few years ago. The floor measured 160 degrees just to the right of my leg. That was just the normal temps, but hot enough to be annoying.
I installed Thermo-Tec 'Cool It', self adhesive heat control mat to the trans tunnel: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14620/

It works well and isn't too expensive. The cab still gets warm in the summer, but not nearly as bad. The most complete insulation is the factory carpet and the thick padding underneath, so someday I may put it back.

Lots of guys running mobil1 10w30 in their AX15, like me. And it works just fine.

I still don't see any logic here. Why not just use a proper 90 weight?

The GL-4 is yellow metal friendly. I run this Amsoil 75w-90 GL-4 in my AX15, my wife's miata, my 400hp 240sx, and my Unimog and its always done great for me.

Here is some of that reflective film, for heat shielding, you might be referring to.

http://www.enjukuracing.com/gold-reflective-film-p-7502.html

The mat is a good idea but he has no carpet. And the silver will be blinding. I doubt paint will hold up on that stuff. Any thoughts on putting it under the tunnel? Think it will stick?

Back