• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

remote battery ground

redriverhugh

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a dual battery set up from summit. Also I purchased a remote battery box that I put in the back where the spare tire used to be. The kit came with 12 feet of 1 gauge positive cable and a 3 foot neg cable and the instructions say to just attach the ground to a suitable spot on the body. No big deal. The remote battery will be used for my winch. My question is will it cause any harm to ground the winch battery to the body or would it be better to run a seperate ground cable all the up to the winch to keep its battery completley separate from the starter battery circuit. Also I have managed to fit my 35" spare lying down flat in the back by removing the huge piece of plastic from the hatch and gently "massaging" the back of the rear seat with a machine hammer.

For the amount of power needed to run the winch I would advise that both winch cables be attached to the battery.

A "battery box" is simply a container for a battery - keeps stuff off of the terminals, keeps the battery enclosed, and to contain leaks (if it's plastic.)

I'd think the winch ground could be run through the chassis - provided:
- All wire connexions are of sufficient gage (ground should be at least as large as the supply.)
- Sufficient wire size is used for the supply lead (I won't throw out a size until I know the winch make & model - and therefore current requirement - anticipated kerb weight - approximately - length of lead needed, and anticipated duty cycle.)
- The contact patches with the chassis are cleaned down to BARE METAL and bright zinc, brass, bronze, or CRES bolts/nuts are used to attach (not black oxide) and corrosion inhibitor applied to prevent corrosion due to environment or galvanic action (proper electrical corrosion inhibitor is electrically conductive, and doesn't inhibit the connexion. Find it in the electrical section of your local hardware/DIY store - do not use anything else!)
- The winch power supply lead must be attached directly to the battery - I haven't found any distribution stuff that is rated strong enough to pass winch current consistently (we're talking up around 300-650A or so, for most winches. Some go up to 800A!)

It would be preferred to have a battery near the winch - shorter leads are better, and the charge lead carries rather less current - and therefore doesn't have requirements that are anywhere near as hairy - and you could have better luck if you were to mount a pack of 12V gel cells or something somewhere near the winch (something like a smallish Odyssey, or some G/A service batteries. Not cheap, but better all around.)

Yes the battery box is just that, a red plastic box with 2 holes with rubber grommets for the battery cables and a third hole that has a plastic vent line that I ran through the floor in the read corner drivers side. The kit came with 1 gauge positive battery cable and I think I will go down to the local supply house and pick up 12 " of welding cable for the ground cable and run it right to the winch. I realize that the shorter the distance from the battery to the winch the better but everything is a compromise. the winch is a Warn M8000. I drilled a hole in the cowl and ran my air intake into it so there is space where the air box used to live but its smaller than I would like and my gel battery does not fit very well there. Plus I have a Viair compressor I would like to hard mount under the hood in that space. Here is dual battery charger I bought
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEY-47-3800/
What I might do is run my main battery to the winch and wire in the rear battery to the starter.

Back