• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken piston skirt

jreitz1

NAXJA Forum User
The tapered part of my piston skirt broke off of the #6 piston on my 2000 xj. The skirt is in about 5 or 6 chunks from getting caught up in the crank counterweight (judging by the nicks). Im not sure how many tiny pieces there are.

The jeep has just over 100,000 miles on it. After the skirt broke, I drove it for about 15-20 miles (both highway and city) and parked it. As far as i can tell, it didn't do any damage to the cylinder walls. My oil temp and pressure was still within limits. And it didnt seem to have any power loss.

My Question is- Do i have any options besides a entire rebuild?

Depending on how worn the bore is, if it is nicked, and if the parts did any other damage, you might be able to just swap in another piston after honing.

My buddy just had this happen in his jeep and the bore was fine after some light honing and he just put in a new cylinder and rod and its back up and running again. As far as flushing i would probably put new oil in it and then change it after a hundred or so miles.

Back