• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement ball joints??

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
when i had the front end of my 99 XJ torn apart for a lift this week i noticed a difference in the upper ball joints from one side to the other.. the pass side is definately newer.with a larger "cup" on the top.. embossed into the body of it is "PROBLEM SOLVER" obviously aftermarket.. but when a product tells you right on it that is going to solve my "problems' i worry about its integrity.. just like autozone "lifetime " warranty which just means you get a new one every 6 months as they wear out.. anyone seen these "problem solvers" ??? who makes them? who carries them? and why would an XJ i bought with 55K miles on it have worn out a ball joint in 2 years?? i'm wondering if the"accident" in the carfax history was a substantiial crash now....
thanx guys
mike

If it is labeled as "Problem Solver," perhaps it is an offset ball joint. These are used to correct for an axle and/or knuckle that doesn't set up within spec for camber using a standard ball joint. That could be as a result of an accident, or it could be due to manufacturing tolerances. (Although in the latter case it shouldn't get out of the factory -- unless the piece in question was installed at the factory.)

XJMark said:
Problem solver is the brand name used by MOOG suspension parts. Something about their parts having more engineering thus solving the problems associated with stock parts. FWIW, MOOG / federal mogul parts DO cost more but they seem to be of higher quality.

That makes sense. Many years ago my brother managed a Firestone store across the street from a big Ford dealership. Once in awhile someone would buy a new Ford and want different tires, so either the dealer or the buyer would bring in a brand new Ford with zero miles on it. Bro said the OEM ball joints on the new vehicles were already looser than Firestone's "Time to Replace" spec, and MOOG's published specs.

well that makes me feel a lil better that its not a POS holding my front wheel on.. it actually loks like a quality unit.. a larger body and looks like better materials too.. not as rusty as the rest of the parts around it after at least a year in new england..
mike

This thread is really old!
After reading and searching for a very long time it has come to my attention that I am not the only wheeler with this problem.... a new ball joint (Spicer) that won't stay in the press socket. Moog's problem solver series adresses an issue with worn inner C socket openings. I am going to try to find one of these and see if it presses in. The Spicer I have in there now simply pushes in by hand; that can't be good but since my Jeep dosen't see any air time I'm "ok" with it. In the absence of real results I believe I'll weld the bugger in with a shim to maintain wall contact. Tires are to costly to allow this to go on.

All this on a shiney turdy..

Back