• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman arm nut

Torque specs for the pitman arm nut is 185 ft. lbs. according to all data.
That's right. Do it right and torque it not just as tight as you can get it. as mentioned above it can strip and you're screwed, or worse yet it could be loose and come off while driving. One of the socalers had his come loose and fall off in front of his house after a 10 mile freeway drive home from a meet and greet... you can imagine for yourself how lucky he was it happened there and not on the freeway.

Do it right the first time, it's your butt on the line ;)

That's right. Do it right and torque it not just as tight as you can get it. as mentioned above it can strip and you're screwed, or worse yet it could be loose and come off while driving. One of the socalers had his come loose and fall off in front of his house after a 10 mile freeway drive home from a meet and greet... you can imagine for yourself how lucky he was it happened there and not on the freeway.

Do it right the first time, it's your butt on the line ;)

Not exactly, Mike. ;) My pitman arm snapped in two pieces. The nut was still on there tight.

I do a lot of boxes. Those darned nuts are so tight sometimes that I had to get an Earthquake Impact that runs over 300 ft/lbs to get them off. Pulling the pitman arms has eaten 3 SnapOn pullers.

Not exactly, Mike. ;) My pitman arm snapped in two pieces. The nut was still on there tight.

Not tight, but yes it was on there still. I'm still convinced it came loose and contributed to the arm weakening.

I do a lot of boxes. Those darned nuts are so tight sometimes that I had to get an Earthquake Impact that runs over 300 ft/lbs to get them off. Pulling the pitman arms has eaten 3 SnapOn pullers.

when I did mine I zipped the puller down with an impact, wrapped the whole thing in a heavy blanket, and smacked the back of the arm with a 2lb sledge. I about shat myself when it let loose but it works well :gee: I was definitely glad I had the blanket around it.

Not tight, but yes it was on there still. I'm still convinced it came loose and contributed to the arm weakening.

when I did mine I zipped the puller down with an impact, wrapped the whole thing in a heavy blanket, and smacked the back of the arm with a 2lb sledge. I about shat myself when it let loose but it works well :gee: I was definitely glad I had the blanket around it.

I'm all in favor of the blanket. I picked a piece of one of the pullers from the sheetrock beside my head.

When I pulled my pitman arm recently it was clear that it was never touched since the day it was put on. I hit it with my ingersol rand thunder gun and it spun off before I realized it was even turning, not sure how I lived without air tools for so long.

When pulling the pitman arm from the box I rented the tool, used a hand wrench to tighten it and whacked a bit with a hammer but it wasn't budging. I sprayed it with some PB blaster and let it sit over tight under tension. The next morning I went to see if I could crank another turn on the puller. The puller turned easy and the arm came right off.

I found it at pep boys every other place didn't have it in stock. one broken socket wrench and on pitman arm puller. Got it done and happy with the durango box. thanks for the help

try tightening the puller by hand with a ratchet rather than an impact. Ive found it is easier on your puller, and the arm comes off without as much of a fight.

I'd be willing to believe this as I used a 32mm (all that I had) and it was quite the tight fit. Converted to inches 32 is 1.259" so its definitely not an 1 1/4". Even after countless impact attempts and lots of time under the torch, mine REFUSED to come off.

4" grinder with a new cut off wheel is my surgical instrument of choice; just don't drop it on your gut. Can you believe I cut that puppy off without destroying my steering box...

stockpitman-Rustysdrop.jpg

I did use a ratchet that's how I broke both. Oh yea the pulled was replaced for free since it was new the ratchet is crapsman so it will be free and the socket I got for 4$ since pepboys sent me a ten dollar off for my birthday. I proable would have never used it since I go to a auto parts store and use my old bosses account and get part for a good price.

Back