• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help 96 auto

joshjeep

NAXJA Forum User
hi ,i am having a bit of trouble with the old girl,i am geting poor fuel economy and i just have a few questions for those with a scan gauge 2 .
first off ,i have installed a new distributer,crank angle sensor,i done O2 sensors a few years ago( maybe 2).now on my scan guage, at idle the map sensor reads 1.9 psi .with the engine off it reads 4.7psi .i have done voltage test to it and the harness, and they all with in specs, so what could cause this. as my mates map sensor reads 14.7 with the engine off and 5.6 at idle. should i replace the sensor ?
the other problem is my ingintion timming is at 18-20 btdc at idle where as my mates is around 9-10 what could be causeing this ?
any help would be good

On my 96 this am..cold idle..map >12.3
Ing timing-----21* still cold idle at about 780 rpm

Hot idle map>11.7
Ing hot idle>19*

At speed did see timing go to 36*+ depending on speed and terrain.
It would seem your timing is OK compaired to mine, MAP though seems wrong.is the L-shaped hose OK,no cracks or splits?

wayne thanks for the reply,i am seeing the same figures in regards to timming,i think i will put on a new map sensor for the hell of it. .even thought the voltage is within specs.the hose looks goodit is not reading right even with the engine off and ign on.i need to find a few more xj i can compare against

Maybe you guys can answer my question.

I have noticed with the motor warm or cold my TPS reading at idle will be at zero then randomly jump to 12 then back down to zero does this every few seconds buy it doesn't seem to affect my rpms at idle either. is that normal?

2001 auto 4.0

Thanks

On my 96 this am..cold idle..map >12.3
Ing timing-----21* still cold idle at about 780 rpm

Hot idle map>11.7
Ing hot idle>19*

At speed did see timing go to 36*+ depending on speed and terrain.
It would seem your timing is OK compaired to mine, MAP though seems wrong.is the L-shaped hose OK,no cracks or splits?

On my 96 4.0 the Hot idle map was 10.6, engine temp was 205.
My ignition was 17.0 st idle and fluctuated depending on load as well.
My absolute TPS varies from 15.7 to 16.1 at idle, does anyone else have a similar absolute TPS reading?

Back