• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 running cold, not shifting right

walkin

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the backround. I've got a 91 YJ that I just swapped in an AW4 / TCU from a 93 XJ. I rode in the XJ with the guy before he pulled it and it was working fine with no problems.

I wired up the TCU and double checked everything im almost positive its all wired correctly. I also installed a 7" stacked fin B&M coolor infront of my radiator. i'm running my coolant lines into my radiator and then into the B&M coolor. I've got a autometer temp gauge and i have the temp sender in a t-fititng on the output line of the transmission.

Here's my problems.

I let the jeep warm up in the garage, engine temp gets up to 195. The AW4 isn't getting over 100 degrees, its staying cold. I take it and drive it for about 10 minuates and come back and the AW4 is still cold (under 100 degrees) i thought my gauge / sender might be bad but i pulled the dipstick and felt the fluid and it doesn't feel hot at all. Anyone have one run this cold?

When i go out and drive it, it seems to shift normally until it gets to OD. I have to let off the gas and then it seems to shift into OD. when i reapply the gas, it acts almost like its in neutral and then engauges again.

I did the manual shift test (unhooked the TCU) and it feels like its in OD and wont go into any other gear.

Anyone have any ideas on what i might have done wrong? or anything to try. thanks

i fixed most of it. i figured out that my temp sending unit wasn’t getting a good ground which is why it was reading under 100 degrees. i hooked up a ground to it and now i get a correct reading. i got the kick down cable adjusted correctly. i also noticed that the wiring for my CPS was touching my header... woops, so i cut it and re-wired it.
Started it up again and it past the manual shift test. it seems to be working with the TCU hooked up to it as well but I’m having a hard time getting it to shift into overdrive.
I’ll be driving down the road about 45mph and its revving about 3500 rpm. i have to lift off the gas in order for it to go into OD. i hit the highway, not accelerating very fast, and it took my rpm's up to about 4500 before it shifted to OD.
Any ideas on what may cause this? it doesn’t seem right to me.

Back