• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

all gauges have stopped working

korn9613

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 xj. recently i got in it to go wheelin and all my gauges no longer work, all at once. im wondering why? no rpms, temp, charge, fuel, nothing. any ideas?

check the plug going into the back of the cluster maybe? does it still light up when you turn the headlights on?

mods please move to OEM tech

Like Grimm said, pull the cluster and then clean the contacts on the flexible circuit on the back of the cluster with a pencil eraser. This is fairly common on that old of a vehicle.

This happened to my 95 so not sure if you have the same wire. There is a ground wire that go's from the back of the engine block to the firewall. Make sure it did not brake or come off. Mine ripped apart and was causing the guages to not work.

i tried to take the cluster out and its not cooperating with me. i got it to move around but it doesnt want to pull outward much. is there a short harness or something holding that from coming out? also, am i looking in the right direction? i have backlighting, some of the gauges are stuck in wide open positions, and the tach is stuck at zero, none of them read current positions. i hate electrical problems because they dont make sense to me, please help!

What is holding it is the speedo cable. You need to reach behind the cluster and release the cable. Some years have a piece of metal you need to press towards the cluster while others have a screw on cable.

Back