• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sun Visor Vanity Mirror removal - How to?

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
1990 XJ Laredo - I am replacing the headliner and need to replace the fabric on the sunvisors while I am at it.

I can't figure out how to release the vanity mirror from the right side sunvisor. It looks as though there is a clip at each end (behind the bulbs) that each go through a hole in the cardboard shell. I can't see any way to release the mirror frame from the visor. I have pried these plastic pieces and can't get them to flex to indicate they would release.

Can anyone here tell me the secret here?

TIA
MoFo

Doug, the visor opens like a clamshell and the light assembly comes out from the inside.

Grab a spare visor and practice opening.. you run the risk of breaking the clips till you figure it out. I broke one before i did..

Just to close on this and make the thread useful as a reference....

This question is specific to the early (RENIX era) vanity mirror on the passenger side sunvisor. John, I think you were talking about the newer style mirror.

The mirror pulls straight off the surface of the sunvisor. I was afraid I would break it. Since I was recovering it with headliner fabric, I took a razor blade and cut the fabric at the seams to discover how it was attached. Just pull it straight off.

Back