• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crossmember question/Cutting into the frame

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so when I did my lift about 8 months ago I had a TCase drop in it and did a SYE. I went to pull he drops out and all 4 bolts holding the stock crossmember up broke inside the frame. Well I wasent sure what to do at the time because I needed it the next day to drive to work. So in a quick fix kinda way I just pushed the crossmember up and welded it to the frame. Dident really care at the time and just needed it to drive and would fix it later. Well I have wanted to do frame stiffeners, and sliders. But I couldent do that without addressing the crossmember. Well I have finaly got a whole new crossmember custom built, with a T-Case skid, Aj sliders I picked up, and HD stiffeners. Now its time to address the crossmember. I know a few guys that weld a nut to the stiffeners and thats how they mount a custom crossmember, but my new crossmember has the holes drilled for the stock mounts, and I dont wana drill new ones into it. So what options do I have??

I was thinking about cutting into the side of the frame, something kind like this ( /---/ ) and fold the piece down and being able to get to the nut welded inside. Pound then out. Build a nut strip with 1/2 nuts, place it down into the frame where the old ones sat, drill a few holes into the frame from the bottom and spot weld the new nut strip where the old on was. Would that work? THe fold the piece I cut back up flush. Weld it all up, grind it smooth, then weld my stiffeners over it. I know people talk about cutting/bending the frame weakens it. But If im putting the stiffeners right over it there shouldent be a problem should there? O and the new crossmember will come up along the side of the frame and have 3 bolts going threw it as well for more mounts.

Would this be ok and work? If not what else could I do?

just drill out the old nuts on the frame rail and weld new nuts on the frame stiffeners where the stock holes are already drilled. then the nuts will go up inside the frame rail and you will be good.

thats the thing I cant do that eather. The stiffeners are slotted right where the bolts are. For about 2 inches. That nut wouldent be near as strong If I just welded it to them

drill out the broken off bolts and re tap the nuts. its pretty easy you just have to take your time and be careful. i got a tapping kit at kragen for 25 bucks.

drill 1" holes in the floor directly over the broken nuts and studs, Drill out the originals. then use an extension to hold the bolts in place. then weld the threads on the out side of the "frame Rail" as the stiffeners and crossmember are probably going to be at least an 1/8" thick, enough room for a bead of weld. so now you will have 4 studs for the crossmember to mount too. Use 1" plugs to seal the floor back up.

Back