• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO BUS/dead guages.......solved...finally!!!

usmc97hd

NAXJA Forum User
Well after trying everything that I have found in forums, online, Alldata and every where else for that matter I went my own way. The TSB for this (NO: 08-20-98 Rev. A) only covers the black plug on the right side of the cluster. There is no mention at all of the green plug on the left side. The CCD bus connects to the cluster through both plugs. I replaced the righthand plug and had no change at all. So I had the dealer drop another plug off at the shop so I could replace the green plug on the lefthand side. The plug itself is the same but the wires are different colors. I cut the green plug off the harness leaving about an inch of wire still on the plug. Just match the wires to the right pin location and it plugs right in. Once this plug was replaced my guages all work as new! Its been a week and not a hint of the old problems.

With all the other fixes Ive tried it only worked for a few hours or not at all. This fix has lasted over a week! I should have just done this to begin with. Best $12 I ever spend on the Cherokee!

More than 11 years ago I had both plastic bus connectors replaced by the dealership while the Jeep was still under warranty...
The problem was resolved for about 6 months and returned....
I have had the instrument cluster out more than a dozen times since then to clean the pin contacts....
Even tried cleaning the contacts thoroughly and applying dielectric grease to the contact areas; this only worked for a few weeks...
This problem is caused by the type of metal that the connectors and pins are made of... Maybe in the future the factory will change the type of metal the connectors are made of the resolve this problem.

The ONLY thing Chrysler did good for the XJ was the bodywork change in 97. How Chrysler is still in business is beyond me! All junk!

Hardly. The interior change, including the wiring harnesses, connectors, and layout is light years better than the 96- XJs.

Back