• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's that whine?

Dragonslayer

NAXJA Forum User
'98 XJ, 2WD, 4.0L, auto.

My car has developed a whine somewhere under the hood. It was faint at first for a few
weeks, then it has gradually gotten louder. The closest thing that would describe it is that
it sounds sorta like a supercharger whine (but there's no supercharger there).

I can't seem to be able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from - even with
a stethoscope.

I checked the fluid on the power steering pump. It's OK.

Any ides? Any suggestions?

Using my stethoscope, it seems as though it's coming from the left side of the tranny.
It's louder when the car is cold.

I bought the car last year and I never had the tranny pan off. Could a clogged filter be
starving the tranny of fluid and make that noise?

was having this problem for the past 2-3 months, started out only when it was cold, then only when the motor was cold, then most of the time....

then my transmission went out, and i havent driven it since, probably not related though.

i do wish they made invisible superchargers though, that'd be sweet.

I dropped the transmission pan and filter today.

The filter screen was covered with some kind of orange gritty stuff.

The most difficult part of the operation was scraping off the old, brittle, cork pan gasket
(using Permatex Gasket Remover) and then clean the pan, magnets, and screws until
everything was surgically clean.

I put in a new transmission filter (w/ nitrile gasket), put it all back together, poured in
4 qts of Dextron III.

Fired her up and …problem solved! No more whine!

Thanks all.

Back