• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preferred Track Bar for 3" of lift?

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the wifes rig is getting 3" of lift, and I'm at a decision on what to d about the track bar. I sort of asked in another thread, but it got sidetracked on my other questions.

Is a double shear necessary at this height? safety is a primary concern obviously, this will also be a front and rear swayed, DD/tow rig fwiw....

Should I just redrill and use the stock? for some reason im not overly fond of this...

I once had a TRE style trac bar at 4.5", it was a rusty's unit...and it snapped on me...

I know most double shears are for 4+, but some do lower lift options...this seems to imply a lack of necessity...

what to do?
-Brian

IF you're running small tires you won't need much bumpstop and trackbars can hit the diff cover. No need for double shear either, if you properly torque it.

The new Currie trackbars are best for Jeeps with low lifts. It's the only one with enough clearance to run less than 1-2 inches of bumpstop.

I wonder if the TNT Bracket/Bar setup on my rid would adjust down enough for hers? I have about 2" of thread or more to play with... Im at 6.5" on my rig

Not for sale, but I have a RE1600 TB with heim/misalignment spacers, bolted to a modified frame mount bracket in double shear. That would be my suggestion, unless you can find one short enough that you can run a different TB mount/JJ

I wonder if the TNT Bracket/Bar setup on my rid would adjust down enough for hers? I have about 2" of thread or more to play with... Im at 6.5" on my rig

T&T has a track-bar that will have a proper fit with 3" of lift. Their 6"+ option works with a minimum of 4" of lift. I know this from experience and confirmed this with T&T.

I had actually originally purchased it for a 4.5" lift, I actually emailed TNT to verify whether it would or wouldnt. I would bet that you arecorrect though

ran a jks trackbar in my last rig, took a stupid amount of abuse and was still mint when i pulled it, id buy another in a heartbeat for a low lift rig

it took these 2 side shots with ease
destroyed the wheel and shaft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET2A8TvAjLo

bent wheel, broken ujoint ans twisted splines, sttering box also clunked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCbc3MILw1Q

not to sure if many other trackbars would of survived

^^^ Good info

I've broken the bolt on the JKS on one occasion, and wadded it up on a miss at the dunes. Definitely spend the money on the chromoly Currie one with the bigger bolts (Jeepspeed).

I have been pondering that as well!! The car will be a DD, but I do want it solid... its a tough decision...

At 3" just run stock. save money for other things. wheel your jeep and see where your limiting bottlenecks are. spare used stock trackbars are dirt cheap of free for trail spares .

if you plan on going higher down the road and insist on spending money id do the kevins offroad(a JKS unit 0-8" of lift) or a straight up JKS trackbar

I call BS, If you plan to wheel it go double shear! I like my IRO double shear setup. I am running it at around 3" with no issues.

Have you run one? Do you know the countless numbers of RE, JKS, and Currie trackbars that are out there in single shear? Stock is also single shear. Jeepspeed guys run the Currie single shear. Do you understand the clamping force of a 9/16 or 5/8 bolt?

Just because someone told you double shear is the right way, doesn't mean it's the only way.

While double shear isn't the only way or the "right way" if you can get the IRO double shear with new beefy bracket for the same price as the JKS, why not go with the IRO?

IRO makes the double shear for low lift heights so you could use that. It's the exact same thing as their other unit except a tad shorter. I have the one for 3-7" of lift and it's beefy. It went on relatively easily.

I had the RE1600 track bar that I took off with the factory bracket. the Tie Rod End looks to have built some play over time. I'd sell it if you want it too?

Back