• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper planning question

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
Planning out a new rear bumper for the rig/dd/fam-bus (98). I plan on using 2x3x1/4 box to make the "nutsert" into the rail, then 1/4" plate for the stock bumper mounts. 2x5x1/4 for the main bumper section. No D ring mounts. 2" receiver mount in the center. So nothing really new there.
Here is where my question comes in. Im running 30X9.5X15 tires on Aluminum GC Rims. For the life of this bumper I see no reason that this size will increase. Instead of soaking alot of money into a heavy duty spindle and latch Im wondering about a double shear type mount. Take a look at this amazing ms paintjob.
bumper.jpg

If that picture makes any sense... Im thinking of using some 2x4x1/4box for the ends. Use some 1/2" HDPE on the drivers side to isolate, with a through bolt and homemade "wing-nut" to secure. Pass side Use the same 2X4X1/4 box welding extra 1/4 plate top and bottom to make it 1/2 wall.
then using brass bushings and 3/4" bolt make the hinge. Guessing that the tube for the hinge and to mount the 2x3x1/4 box arm will need to be some 1/2 wall?
So am I barking up the crap tree here?

You are right on track,Ive done several that way!
steve-1.jpg

Back