• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stereo...adapter??

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
88 MJ, radio shot, can't read any buttons, 23 years old (not me, the radio)

What adapter for my stock radio is needed to install a newer Chrysler/Jeep AM-FM/CD/i-pod (or any stereo) unit where the fubar'd stock AM-FM/cassette player is??

Plug n' Play?? What's the easiest way to go??

Any recommendations? It's not uber-high on my priority list...and I don't need a sub or to be blasted out of my seat...just wanna hear some tunes on an updated machine. I'd just like to know what others have done.

Just order a harness,13$.

Ummm, yeah. That was kind of what I was looking for.

But since I don't know s##t about stereo systems I was looking for what KIND of harness, adapter or what.

...and it's $13...not 13$

The Scosche kit (sp?) kit from wally world/wherever has the mounting bracket and harness you need.
For newer units I recommend Blaupunkt and Pioneer/premier. Seem to have the best built-in amps/wattage.

Try Crutchfield They use to give you the harness connector with a new stereo from them, if not then they are fairly inexpensive to order out-right.

The Scosche kit (sp?) kit from wally world/wherever has the mounting bracket and harness you need.
For newer units I recommend Blaupunkt and Pioneer/premier. Seem to have the best built-in amps/wattage.

Thanks guys, that was pretty much what I was looking for. So like I asked before, are these just plug n' play, or do I have to splice a bunch of wires??

I'm not real swift on electrics.

Thanks guys, that was pretty much what I was looking for. So like I asked before, are these just plug n' play, or do I have to splice a bunch of wires??

I'm not real swift on electrics.

You will have to splice wires but they are all color coded and are marked as to what they go to with the new head unit. I always "butt solder" and shrink wrap everything so it takes less space behind the unit but you can use butt connectors if you would like.

After all of the wires are spliced between the head unit and the connectors its all just plug and play.

All aftermarket head units use color coded wire and the connector will match those color for color.

You will have to splice wires but they are all color coded and are marked as to what they go to with the new head unit. I always "butt solder" and shrink wrap everything so it takes less space behind the unit but you can use butt connectors if you would like.

After all of the wires are spliced between the head unit and the connectors its all just plug and play.

All aftermarket head units use color coded wire and the connector will match those color for color.
Think of it as color by number (=

Thanks again...the last stereo I installed was an 8 track.

Hey, I'm old enough to remember the 8 track! But young enough to own a iPod touch, we have come a long ways with music storage!

When you get a new head unit get one with the USB front and rear. I run the USB cable from the rear of the HU and under the console and into the box. Its a good place to hide your iPod.

For what its worth, The Crutchfield harness I had foe my last XJ (stripper model from 94) plugged right in with no splicing. Not sure if all are like that, since I've just done it once.

For what its worth, The Crutchfield harness I had foe my last XJ (stripper model from 94) plugged right in with no splicing. Not sure if all are like that, since I've just done it once.

Right, it will plug into the factory radio harness but you need to connect the adapter to the HU with butt solder connections or butt connectors.

I just bought one of these for my XJ and love it love it love it. AM/FM. Slide out in dash tray for the ipod. No wires. Direct access thru the faceplate or the wireless remote. No CD, but I had a 10 disc changer under the rear seats and had not used it in...8 years? Who has CDs now anyhow?

I bought it in Jan. @ Best buy. Hated them, hated their service. Do yourself a favor and just get it from Amazon without the BBuy hassle and idiots. I paid $100. Probably cheaper on Amazon. This is the model I got, though the make 3 of them with the in-dash tray.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666086157#additionalImage1%22

Easy.

While driving, reach down and open the window. Place cassette in hand. Extend hand out of window. Open hand, and rotate until it is empty. Return hand to cabin.

Back