• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering is worn out - Stock/V8ZJ vs. IRO

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
At 191k miles, it looks like my steering is worn out. I went to O'Reilly's website and priced out all new moog parts, and it came to $351. With a v8zj tie rod it's $355. Iron Rock's setup w/ the 5/8 upgrade is only $370. This is my daily driver, but I'm leaning towards the IRO setup (I have their track bar). What would you do?

Wow what?! those prices are insane!

Unless tie rod ends are rediculously expensive those prices are super high. Find out where the play is, which tie rod ends have play? A few? all of them?

I run a stock drag link and a v8 zj tie rod, I paid about 75 for the tie rod and new rod end. My pitman tie rod end and passenger end are in decent shape still so I'll replace them when needed. Can you post up the parts your pricing out? You only need tie rod ends and the tie rod (can get the tie rod from a Junk yard to save you more cash).

Also if your doing an over the knuckle steering setup it should have a track bar that is shortened and mounted over the axle, and the sway bar mounts will need to be cut off and new ones welded on. It doesn't say that on IRO's website but most other over the knuckle setups require that.

Just read IRO's install instructions and i guess they don't require removal of the swaybar mounts, you should still have a new trackbar/axle mount welded up to avoid bumpsteer.

Tie rod ends are quieter for the street as they wont bang around as much as heims will as they wear. Drove an xj with heim steering and it was clanking around, thats with low miles on the rig and maintained joints. Heims are very strong though and can surely take a beating off road, just not as road friendly.

You must have done something wrong when pricing that out.

I bought my V-8 tie rod w/2 new tie rod ends for less than $100 shipped when I ordered them through car-parts.com

They were all Crown parts, looked pretty nice but never had the chance to install them.

What's your point? He has all stock linkages now, they are just worn. I don't think strength is an issue. A ZJ tie rod is easier to adjust and beefier than that hollow toothpick that they sent with the XJ. A good upgrade for a DD to occasional Wheeler, and you can get the part store from the city to timbukf'n nowhere. His prices are off though. You can get both the Drag link and the Tie link, and all ends for much less that the $355 figure he quoted. The Crown part comes as a "kit" It's both the Tie Rod, the adjuster, and the TRE. Easy 15min bolt on.

I'm just sayin'

Wow, no one like those prices from oreillys :laugh:! I checked again, and compared with advanced auto, which are about the same. Rock Auto is significantly cheaper! Thanks for the tip there, I'll keep them in mind from now on. Autozone didn't have moog, and their duralast brand comes in somewhat cheaper than moog from rockauto.

I did price a complete system, including adjusters. That may be where the disagreement is. I got 245 for a complete moog setup w/ ZJ tie rod from rockauto. If I reuse the drag link adjuster I'd save $19. But this is the part that shifted on me, so I'd spend the money while I was at it just for the peace of mind :kissyou:.

I know I'm not pushing the limits of the stock setup. But if I'm going to replace it all anyways (still undecided), I like to consider upgrades so I'm not replacing it again a few years down the road. Besides, it's a lot easier to sell it to the wife this way :angel:.

Have you considered hitting up the JY for the ZJ tie rod? I know you can get them for like $10-20 a pop, then go to the parts store and get yourself some new TRE's and what not. You'd be in this project for much less $$

also, are you pricing out a new drag link as well? if so, thats probably not necessary. the ends are probably worn, chances are the drag link is fine

I went with a Ironman4x4fab tie rod, Good prices. I have a newer/better shape stock drag link/new pitman arm side TRE to go in soon.

Have you considered hitting up the JY for the ZJ tie rod? I know you can get them for like $10-20 a pop, then go to the parts store and get yourself some new TRE's and what not. You'd be in this project for much less $$

also, are you pricing out a new drag link as well? if so, thats probably not necessary. the ends are probably worn, chances are the drag link is fine
The ball stud on the passenger knuckle is part of the drag link. Just did this last weekend. MOOG DS1238, 3094L, 3095R, 3096L, and JKS tie rod tube. Unless they're really rusty, you should be able to keep your original adjuster sleeves. I was thinking about the Currie setup, but it's $400 EVERYWHERE and the replacement rod ends are only available though Currie.

problem is that if you have xj steering, you only have one adjusting sleeve...stock xj tie rod is the adjusting sleeve. i'm having this same dilemma right now.

Not sure if duralast would be a good option (same part# as moog) but its half the price from Autozone....

1) #DS1312 TRE (long) $35.00
1) #DS1238 Drag link $57.50
2) #ES3096 TRE (short) $19.00 ea. $38.00 (one goes on the drag link, the other on the tie rod)
1) #ES2079S Adjuster sleeve $13.00
--------
$143.50 + Tax (of course)

Courtesy of AMXJ. :)

GL

I'm just sayin'

Thats nice.

The stock steering is marginal even for a mildly lifted rig. The V8 ZJ tie rod is better, but not by much. Even on my rig with the little bit of lift and 31" tires I noticed a difference in steering.

So....does the IRO just use stock xj tre's? If so, this unit is pretty worthless. I used to run a bigdaddy tie rod that was heavy as hell but used stock tre's. Yup, I snapped tre shanks.

I could be wrong, but I think that iron man andy's tie rod uses a bigger tre...possibly the zj v8 end.

Just junkyard it, or look in your classifieds. I got my zj tie rod and drag link with good ends for $10 off someone in my chapter. Ran it for like 7k miles no problems. And that was with 4.5" lift with 32's.

Back