• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inverted T steering Q

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked at some threads and haven't found the info I'm looking for.
I want to upgrade my steering and get better feel / precision and less wander without losing my sway bars or changing from factory wheels.
My plan, as it stands, is to run a DOM tie rod under the knuckle & fab a couple tabs to capture the drag link on the passenger's side.
I'd run 3/4" heims, if that matters, and orient the drag link to tie rod heim to prevent misalignment.
Has anyone run this and had clearance issues? They might be all the same problems as the full crossover... I'm not clear.

Might be time to buy some heims & PVC, start playing around...

hmm. How wide are most 3/4" heims? I'm guessing, now that I think of it, that they won't fit between two pieces of plate welded to the sides of 1.5" DOM.

depends on the missalignment spacers you get. but no, it doesnt allways work out perfect in the real world. bend one side, and use wide washers as mock up to make sure its flat and paralell when you weld.

Are you stuck on inverted T?

Goatman did an over the knuckle inverted Y with heims on his buggy. It is some of the best handling steering that i have ever seen.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Tech here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10309699&postcount=21

I'm not stuck on inverted T - it is just one (potentially) good way to reach my goal of a tight handling XJ with sway bars intact.

Pics of an inverted T? Ne'er heard of it.

On the pics of the inverted Y. There is a pSC ram, where is it attached to?

I don't have any pictures readily available that show it, but it should attach to the draglink. PM him and he can snap a good pic for you.

There is no steering damper. That's probably the hydro assist ram.

(this isn't my rig, i drug the pictures up to share the tech - this is goatmans KOH buggy).

Went digging throuh pics from when we prep'd the car for KOH 2009.

Looks like its a double ended hi steer arm.

hammersprep09005.jpg

I'm guessing by his pics that he has a passenger side hi-steer arm that extends on the front and the back. I think the ram is steering assist on the back part of the arm because his steering setup doesn't really leave a good place to mount a ram up front.

Wow, there is a lot going on with that axle haha.

Cal, Those pictures are invaluable. The entire front end of my XJ need to be rebuilt including TRE's and Balljoints. I want to do a custom inverted 'Y' but had a hard time putting it together in my mind. Now I have something to use as a guide.

That is some drop there on that axle.

I'm guessing by his pics that he has a passenger side hi-steer arm that extends on the front and the back. I think the ram is steering assist on the back part of the arm because his steering setup doesn't really leave a good place to mount a ram up front.

I said that. ;)

Wow, there is a lot going on with that axle haha.

There is a lot going on with that car. ;) One of the more capable XJ's out there.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

RC09_0823.jpg

When you're building something custom, you can build it however you want. ;)

You could do stock locations over the knuckle yes.

Haha yeah, you musta beat me by 3 seconds on that last post. And I've seen Goatman's rig a ton, that thing is nuts. I kind of want to do something relatively similar and use all the "stock" parts from my XJ to build a small lightweight buggy, but I really need a garage first. And a house, tow vehicle, and trailer too...

So... what is a good tight way to do steering with stock sway bars? Seems like most of the discussion is around high dollar highly modified rigs

Stock sway bar mounts? Currie.

You can use your stock sway bar with any setup, you just have to weld on new mounts. I got the mounts from JKS and got one welded on, but I'm afraid its going to be coming off again when I change the setup again.

So... what is a good tight way to do steering with stock sway bars? Seems like most of the discussion is around high dollar highly modified rigs
I believe you would have to stay UTK, to keep stock swaybar mounts.

Back