• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those of you with HID Radio Interference - FIX INSIDE

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
So I can't take credit for this, I found a write up on a Superduty forum for my truck. With the DP Tuner, every time I would fire my HID's, my truck would stumble and die. Nobody really ever knew what the deal was, until a couple weeks ago when a guy who works on radio towers posted up. He used a meter inside the truck and ignited his HID's, and the RF inside the truck went nuts. After seeing this he had a few ideas, and one worked flawlessly.

The problem was that the Radio interference was leaking in through the unshielded cable ends of the tuner plugs. So he installed a couple Ferrite Beads onto the cable leading into the PCM. Voila, no more problems. He says he can light up all 6 sets of HID's at once and not a single hiccup from the truck. I went ahead and ordered 6 of these beads, to have extras to fool around with. I just got done installing one on the truck, works great, no more stumbling or dying.

This lead me to believe it may possibly work on our Honda, as it has had HORRIBLE radio reception with the HID's on since the day we installed them. It's just the nature of the cheaper aftermarket ballasts. I put a single bead on each set of output wires (leading from the ballast to the bulbs) as close to the ballast as possible... IT WORKED! I was pumped! So I know a few of you have had this issue with either your Jeep's, or other vehicles you have HID's in, so check it:

f97fee8a.jpg

52ab9fe7.jpg

These are the exact beads I used:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fair-Rite/0443164151/?qs=KmHvPbTOE4QzbZtjLMpEBQ%3d%3d

Enjoy your radio reception!

awesome, i allways thought my random and rare hiccup when igniting the rallye 4000's was an alternator issue.... may have to pickup some of these to find out for sure.

care to share details of your hiccup/stumbling issue? mine would kill the truck, and sometimes not let it start back up for 5 minutes or so, allmost like a dead cps, crank for days, but it wouldnt fire.

is there a way to keep the radio interferance though? radio sucks.

I'm an RF engineer and we use those all the time. On a Renix, I would worry about the ping sensor. It is a high impedance microphone and they had enough problems that they ran a shielded wire, a rarity in an automobile. Some O2 sensors can be a effected as well. Guys with ham radios fight the problem.

Nice, I may have to get some for my Jeep since my HIDs kill my radio reception. And since I have a crappy old stereo (thanks thieves), radio is how I connect my iPod.

Weird, i havent noticed this with the HID's in the Jeep. Nor have i noticed any significant loss in reception.

In my Jeep and in the van when it had them, turning on the headlights caused horrible radio reception. My iPod adapter broadcasting from 3 feet away can over power most of the static, but it's still reasonably staticky.

I hate to hijack the thread could this be similar to why when I turn my radio/CD player off my CB radio's reception gets much better? Just curious.

I was thinking of putting HIDs in my Jeep glad to know about this before hand so if I run into this problem I will know how to cure it.

And these just clamp over the cable at the outlet from the ballasts? The RF comes only from the ballast and not the cable at all?

Back