• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ clunk

themonk

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJunk, 82k.

When I hit expansion joints or cracks in the road etc, I get what I'd call a clunk that I feel through the steering wheel. Actually what I feel in the wheel is rather sharp and annoying. Reminds me of the feeling you get in your bare hand after whacking a fireplace poker against a rock.

Ball joints are under 5k as is track bar, steering stabilizer, shocks and sway bar bushings (including end links). Wheel bearings are good, tire rod ends appear good. Tires are new. I have new control arms I figured on installing (WJ lowers) but I haven't had time. The existing ones don't appear to have bad bushings however.

The components I replaced were to address other issues, shocks were hosed, one ball joint was loose (replaced all of them), track bar had play allowing side play in axle. Had a vibe caused by the tires that balancing wouldn't cure.

There is no movement in steering box or track bar when moving wheel back and forth.

Plan to have it aligned after doing control arms.

I may have a tow issue causing a drift to one side.... could always be PA roads too. :D

I notice a tendency to bump steer.

Other than torching it, what are thoughts?

Control arm bushings worn. That's my best guess from your description & without actually being able to look at the XJ.

I have seen many XJ's with the holes that mount the control arm bushings that are egged out and the bushing slides back and forth.

I have new control arms I figured on installing (WJ lowers) but I haven't had time. Plan to have it aligned after doing control arms.
He HAS new control arms...they're not installed

He said control arms were new though.

I just replaced my bushings...old rubber to new rubber...big difference. My clunk turned in to a very quick ba-dump...and better handling too.

Back