• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Secure Storage in my XJ???

harmgrissom

NAXJA Forum User
Been thinking a lot about secure storage for my Jeep. I love the thing but its glove box leaves something to be desired. And even then - its a glove box - not a safe. Basically what I've got is an unmodified 4 door 96 XJ and I want to put a secure storage container in it.

As I just got it, its only unmodified because of time rather than desire. I'm thinking of welding a lockable steel box, safe or other small secure box that I could have much greater control of access to its contents.

So where in a stock XJ i.e. under carper, paneling etc. would be the best place to get to the most metal in which to weld to?

Its a wierd question I know. Thanks for your input.

I run a TruckVault in the cargo area. They come with a combination lock or a key lock. There is also a thread on the forums somewhere that ended up about 20-30 pages long of cargo storage options.

101_0631.jpg

I run a TruckVault in the cargo area. They come with a combination lock or a key lock. There is also a thread on the forums somewhere that ended up about 20-30 pages long of cargo storage options.

101_0631.jpg

How much did that run if you don't mind me asking?

How much did that run if you don't mind me asking?

I got it off Craigslist for $150. He has another brand new one for sale too. He ordered one for a WJ and they sent him one for an XJ, then told him to keep it since he is a long time customer. He wants $350 for the brand new one.

You could beef the inside of the console with a metal box bolted to the floorboard and have the cam lock interface with that I suppose

Issue with that is you have to deal with bolting down the metal box around the AC/heat vents that run under the center console. It could work, but might not be terribly secure. The mounting points for the console itself are just weak plastic, which is why every console in every XJ I've been in are wobbly.

I got it off Craigslist for $150. He has another brand new one for sale too. He ordered one for a WJ and they sent him one for an XJ, then told him to keep it since he is a long time customer. He wants $350 for the brand new one.

That thing is friggin sweet! Too pricey for me right now though.

OP: I was looking in to these but may see if Grandpa can build me something similar with provisions for spare shaft storage.

http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/accessories/storage/xj-storage-drawers/

As long as the hatch is locked i'm sure they are very secure.

Tuffy makes a couple of locking center consoles for the cherokee that do bring the beef. The only thing I don't like about them is that you have to lock them to latch them. :/

security-console-tuffy-050.jpg

I run this one and am happy with it.

images.ashx

That thing is friggin sweet! Too pricey for me right now though.

OP: I was looking in to these but may see if Grandpa can build me something similar with provisions for spare shaft storage.

You can check it out at the Crawl! I have a spare front and rear drive shaft in it as well as a first aid kit, shovel, axe, random clean up things (trash bags, toilet paper, paper towels, cloth towels) a full tool kit, work gloves, spare jack, Maglight, rechargable spotlight, and still have room for spare axle shafts. As well, it allows access to the "bump in" on the driver's side (via flap door, my fire extingusiher is attached to that) where I keep leather gloves and jumper cables. Also I have a cargo net secured to the top of it so I can keep things in place as I load it.

Considering these things retail for well over $1000, $350 is not a bad price! Of all the money I spent on my XJ, I've gotten the most bang for my buck out of this!

You can check it out at the Crawl! I have a spare front and rear drive shaft in it as well as a first aid kit, shovel, axe, random clean up things (trash bags, toilet paper, paper towels, cloth towels) a full tool kit, work gloves, spare jack, Maglight, rechargable spotlight, and still have room for spare axle shafts. As well, it allows access to the "bump in" on the driver's side (via flap door, my fire extingusiher is attached to that) where I keep leather gloves and jumper cables. Also I have a cargo net secured to the top of it so I can keep things in place as I load it.

Considering these things retail for well over $1000, $350 is not a bad price! Of all the money I spent on my XJ, I've gotten the most bang for my buck out of this!

I will check it out at the Crawl! That thing looks to be the cats pajamas! :D My grandpa has been doing wood work for...........when did they invent dirt.....................:D I'm sure he can make me up something quite nice.

^^On behalf of all of us Old Guys out there...

Trees were invented just after dirt. If your GrandDad does wood work, then it is an opportunity for you to learn. I can tell you that nothing peels the onion of an Old Guy than to have a Young Guy ask to be taught something. Anything as it turns out. I have found a Young Pup to whom I can pass on my electrical and mechanical knowledge.

Back